1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Hard Disk Space

Discussion in 'Recording' started by slicraider, Mar 19, 2004.

1. slicraider

slicraider Guest

:?:

The other day I was visiting a studio and I noticed that the PT session was synced to the analog tape, but the SMTE number was many minutes past 0:00:00. The guy at the studio did not use any SMPTE offset. My question is this: If the session starts at 0:00:00 is he wasting a bunch of disk space by running his sessions in that way?

2. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Your question is not absolutely 100% clear. But in a nutshell, no, he is not wasting any disk space, regardless of any off-set or lack there-of. Whichever is the case.

3. moles

moles Active Member

Normally one would start your SMPTE count either a minute or an hour (or whatever) past zero anyway. It's good to have a buffer at the beginning in case you need to add in an intro, or otherwise more program material in front of the track, and you don't want the track to be starting in the negative time.

4. slicraider

slicraider Guest

Thanks Recorderman there was no offset just 19 minutes of space before the tune in the PT Session. Sorry to have been unclear.

5. djui5

djui5 Guest

did he record 19 min's of silence?

6. slicraider

slicraider Guest

No so I guess there is nothing there to make the file bigger.

7. djui5

djui5 Guest

That's right. You can start the session anywhere in the SMPTE time line you want and disk space won't start being used untill someone hits record.

This is a little off topic but thought you might like to know

There's a new standard for pro-tools sessions that requires the session start time to be 1:00:00:00

That's 1 hour.

This standard has been established by the record labels and the RIAA...among many other standards. I'll post a link when I remember where it is...

8. slicraider

slicraider Guest

djui5,

That sounds like you've been poking around the P&E Wing at Grammy.com. It's been standard at the big rooms in town to start at 1:00:00 but I think that's a video influence for the most part as most all music studios seem to start with only a 15-20 second SMPTE offset.

9. djui5

djui5 Guest

Busted.... :shock:

I've never seen a session with a 15-20 second offset..maybe I missed something. Most sessions I've worked on have been started at 1hour. I do know a lot of studios set up their pro-tools rig's to automatically do this when making new sessions, but I haven't worked everywhere either.
    It's interesting to look at it from a video standpoint. Never thought about that. I'm a music guy and haven't done any post work since leaving school. Thanks for the insight!

10. EricK

EricK Guest

That can be very problematic to start too close to 00:00:00.00. Depending on what you will need to synchronize to later, you can run into trouble. Some equipment will freak out if you cross "midnight", i.e. go from 23:59:59.29 to 00:00:00.00. Starting at 01:00:00.00 prevents ever crossing midnight, it also makes the math easier if you do need to use offsets later.

Eric

11. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member