1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

hard drive questions

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jake_eskedal, Feb 29, 2004.

1. jake_eskedal

jake_eskedal Guest

what type of drive set-up will i need? i have a motu hd192, running DP4 and i want to record at 96k. right now i have the 60gb (boot/programs) and a 120gb firewire drive. will that cut it? should i get another internal instead of the firewire? or what about scsi? and if i use scsi can i use the normal internal as a boot disk?

2. bencrud

bencrud Guest

how many tracks do you want to run? i would suggest a 200 gig internal for your audio files. make sure to get at least 7200 rpm and an 8mb cache. if you do external make sure the bridge is oxford 911 or better...
  3. jake_eskedal

jake_eskedal Guest

probably around 24, with at times 8-10 tracks at a time.

thanks for the input.

4. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Aug 15, 2003
    24 tracks at 96k is doable, but it might push an ATA drive to its limits. Especially if you want to do any considerable amount of effects processing.

You might want to try SATA. If you do decide on SCSI, you can keep your ATA boot disk.
  5. jake_eskedal

jake_eskedal Guest

SATA? I'm a little green when it comes to drives.
  6. K

K Guest

I've heard alot of bad things about SATA...
    Apperently the cables are not shieded and you can't put the drives to close to eachother. I think there are some other annoying things about SATA.
    Atleast thats what i read..

7. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Haven't heard that, but I haven't followed the development of SATA closely either.

SATA is just a new type of Drive interface. In terms of speed, its faster than regular ATA (IDE) drives, but slower than SCSI.