1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Hardware compatibility with PRO TOOLS

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Oquendo02, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Oquendo02

Oquendo02 Guest

Hi im going into music production and my school uses Pro Tools and i want to get pro tools to use on my own computer. Do you have to use digidesigns hardware to work with protools? I have one of the new Alesis Multimix firewire mixers that i love, is that compatible with Pro Tools? So basically can i just buy the software and use it with what i have already? or do I have to buy the m-box? Right now im using Ableton Live 5.0.1 for recording.

thanks, andrew
  2. stickers

stickers Active Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Lowell MA
    Home Page:
    You have to use digidesign hardware or m-audio "protools" compatible hardware.

I'm not sure of the exact products by M-audio that can use "mpowered protools" or what ever it called. check there website

But for digidesign products, the mbox 2 or digi 002r are likely the way to go. well that and then HDcards but those are expensive.
  3. Oquendo02

Oquendo02 Guest

Ahhh ok that sucks. Yeah I really like the Alesis Multimix i can record my whole band with it. I guess I really just want to get PRO TOOLS to become familiar with it so ill be more efficient throughout school and my later careers. The M-Box to me at first glance really just looks like a recording box for a solo musician and not for a band? Whats the next best program next to Pro Tools?
  4. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Kirkland WA
    Home Page:
    PC: Sonar cubase SX

Mac: Logic, Digital Performer(SX SUX on the mac)