1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

hardware midi controlled pitch shifter??

Discussion in 'Recording' started by goldenhelix, Jan 6, 2007.

1. goldenhelix

goldenhelix Guest

i'm looking for a piece of hardware that will perform a certain function and have had a rather hard time finding it. there are some vst plugins that will do this, but i really would like a hardware unit that will accomplish the same thing.

i want to have a realtime pitch shifter that will pitch shift an input signal via midi note messages. the plugins i have encountered that do this are madshifta and voicemachine. i thought that i could get a digitech vhm5 and that would work, but alas, the type of pitch shifting that it performs is fundamentally different than what i need. it takes an incoming signal and produces a harmony (or harmonies) at a specified pitch. what i need is to specify a harmony of a certain interval. there is a big difference. for example, with the vhm5, if you sing a middle C and play the G above that on the keyboard, you will get a harmony of C and G. if you then sing a D, you will get a harmony of D and G. what i need is something that when you sing a D and play a G, you really get D and A. that is to say, a pitch shifter which will harmonize a unison at middle C, and will pitch shift the actual incoming signal (not a carrier tonee, as in the vhm5) up or down the appropriate interval based on the midi note.

i will be shocked if there is no such thing out there. can any of the eventide harmonizers do this? someone please advise. thanks!