1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Has Anyone Ever Built a Piece of Equipment and Used It?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by dexters lab, Nov 22, 2004.

1. dexters lab

dexters lab Guest

i seen this and got the idea of asking that question :

^^^so has anyone built anything? how did it turn out?
  2. boheme6

boheme6 Guest

lots have...

3. kinetic

kinetic Guest

Built my commercial studio with my cabinet maker partner to our acoustic consultant's specs - used that place for over 10 years

Built mosfet power amps that were used at home, in the studio and by my colleagues - still in service

Built a hi fi preamp - still in service

Built discreet active (phantom powered) DI boxes based on a circuit published in the US publication dB magazine - don't know if they are still in existence, but the DIs are!

Built a headphone distribution system - as far as I know, still in service

Built all my computer systems, and many others for colleagues - still in service

Built various effects in the '80s mostly based on Craig Anderton's designs, inclduing distortion boxes, flangers and compressors (all mainly for use with instruments)

Built some bradband diffusers that work well and about to build some bass traps

Lots of people build their own things with great success - get your hands dirty!
  4. dexters lab

dexters lab Guest

boheme6 thank you for the link

you helped me just re-discover a hobbie of mine from when i was a kid

Kinetic - "get your hands dirty!"

^^^thats the plan thank you
  5. boheme6

boheme6 Guest

Yeah, I've recently discovered DIY for audio..
    started small - guitar stompboxes (with great results).. going to move up to tube amps and pro-audio gear next.

The SSL compressor and 1176 are supposedly not too difficult if you aren't a complete novice..

If you want to see some really sweet DIY
    check out..

on the second link - check out the 'storm tide flanger' and the 'la2a style compressor'... he does some NICE stuff.
  6. dexters lab

dexters lab Guest

hey thanks for that link to gearslutz :)

i've signed up to the other board you gave me,im the idiot running around asking silly questions :oops:

just reading this stuff has got me all excited

thanks again