1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Has anyone tried the distressor with BRITISH MOD?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by nuknight, Apr 7, 2004.

1. nuknight

nuknight Guest

Has anyone tried the distressor with BRITISH MOD? I use distressor now sounds great but I'm wondering if BRITISH MOD IS A BIG DIFFERENCE? Im currently using nuke on the distressor for vocals and it's coming out pretty nice.

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. It adds another flavour that can be combined with all the other settings to give you a super spanking. It is very much the same sound as the all buttons pressed in at once trick that is often used with a 1176 limiter.

3. kittonian

kittonian Guest

The British Mod is what makes the piece so incredible to work with (at least for me). I love the thing and use it all the time.

4. nuknight

nuknight Guest

Wow that sounds awsome, Right now im doing 6 ratio and PUTTING DIST MODE 3 for VOCALS and man thats coming out nice, But im using a m audio mic pre 20 dollras not bad but Im thinkin of gettin a neve or API, You guys sound pretty pro know of anything cheaper that sounds almost as good so that maybe I can get a eventide or something? Thanks for the help by the way

5. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Well, if you go with the API and get a lunchbox 6-slot frame and then fill it as you go along the 512C mic pre is about $750 each. The Neve 1272 is most likely the cheapest your gonna find for a real Neve unless you up the antee to get a Neve clone that will also have eq.

6. jameslugo

jameslugo Active Member

Hey everyone,

I just joined recording.org and wanted to say hi.

I used the Distressor last week in Brit Mode on a room mic with drums and squashed the s**t out of it, then threw a filter on it and used it like a loop. Sounded killer and the client was happy. This seems like a very cool forum. :lol:

7. WDavidW

WDavidW Guest

It is a cool forum James! Welcome!

8. jameslugo

jameslugo Active Member

Thanks, it seems really active. I'm digging it!

9. anonymous

anonymous Guests

While I have found all kinds of uses for the EL-8X [model number for the distressor with "Brit" and "Image" mods], if you were considering a pair of EL-8X's [called the EL-8SX], the Smart Research C-2 is only about a $100 USD more expensive, and at least in my world, is quite a bit more versatile... and even with the "Image mod" on the distressor, the C-2 tracks left/right stereo far better than the distressors.

The C-2's "crush" mode sounds different than the "brit mod", but can be used with wild success in similar applications. One is not really a substitute for the other... but if I were going to add something in that price range to my arsenal... I would add the C-2 before the EL-8SX... but as always... YMMV