1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Have you ever wanted to jump into a hole?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by hueseph, Oct 16, 2009.

1. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

A money pit that is. Well, there's no better time than the present. Digidesign is offering ProTools Le users an opportunity to trade up to an HD system for "up to 50% off". I'm tempted. Basically you can get an HD 1 with a 96 I/O analog interface for $6000.00. I know it's no small beans but for the price it's tempting. This would retail at about $10000.00 normally.

2. apstrong

apstrong Active Member

I always recommend watching Fight Club before spending anything over 5K. Or going to Ikea. I hope this helps.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Well, been there done that. $25000.00 later, never again. Who knows though... I could definitely be wrong this time round.

I'm jaded. That being said...

I'm certain something new is around the corner when they offer these tempting trade in deals. ... be prepared. Usually 2 months later and its not such a good deal after all.

I did it, and will never jump into high end digi again. I love their software but not enough to invest in a constant drain hole of soon to be dated hardware. Big changes are coming. CP's are fasters, we need less of what was needed before. Especially digi hardware.
    New computers and SSD are going to revolutionize the A/V industry.

That's what I'd keep my eyes on Hueseph.

(y)

4. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Saw the same offer. Immediately read my daughter's tuition bill. The moment passed.

5. hueseph

Mmmmmhmmmm. Much wisdom in the advice here. Gonna have to muster up the will power to say no to bloat. Kids must eat. Must keep roof over head.

6. natural

natural Active Member

Unless you need it as a business investment to bring in more clients, money, etc to get a leg up on your competition, then it's better to wait, buy a used system and then sell your LE system to offset the cost.

7. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

IN a few months an used HD Accel system PCI-E with a first or second generation MAC Pro is all you will need.

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hi Alécio,

Sounds like you are thinking the same thing as me. Why do you say this?

9. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Something new is always around the corner.

Digi, like most other Pro audio companines these days, is going through some tough times. They have had a few rounds of layoffs over the last 6-months so offering a deal to hook more people into their HD side has been expected by many.

At the same time, people were expecting something big from Digi at AES a few weeks ago. It could be that they were not quite ready and are waiting for Winter NAMM. If they annouce something at NAMM, I would expect it will likely be more targeted to the ever expanding semi-pro and wanker market where there is still money to be made.

I myself think they may have already peaked with their best years now behind them.

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I can't agree more. Guarantee, we're going to start seeing used PT HD systems in abundance. I talked about this 8 months back somewhere, I'd say if you are thinking it may be time to sell your rig... do it now.

SSD are going to revolutionize audio/video storage/ latency issues and so much more. Big changes are coming and its going to be good.

11. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

SSD's aren't what everyone thinks they are...

There's a lil' nasty that'll start to show up before long... SSD's are considerably slower at write speeds than conventional Ultra SCSI drives for 1/3 the cost.

To get into single cell devices which suffer less write latency, and write errors, you're still looking at 3-5 years before the technology investment will bring them down to reasonable costs.

Plus, there's liable to be several shake ups within the form factor which will, as is usually the case, leave the Redmond Retards scrambling to rewrite the OS again, so that it might actually be at least 50% compatible with the new technology.

Sorry, but I just don't see the SSD's as being anything to get excited over yet. (I saw beta's of the SSD almost 20 years ago.)

12. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

SSD's are what I use for OS drives and here is where they are great. Destination drives are still SATA/eSATA/1394.

YMMV

13. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

The release of Eleven Rack has pointed at a direction which future HD systems may go....

14. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I hear ya, but when I see things like this it makes me wonder if its coming sooner than 5 years from now :!: I'm guessing we're going to see something transform a lot sooner than that. No doubt, as in the past, big rigs like PT HD selling on ebay for squat. But that's technology and to be expected. I simply wouldn't invest in PT hardware again after my last 25 grand lesson.

"Brandon Ryan demos Cakewalk SONAR Producer version 8.5 using a Shawn K. Clement remix of Cori Yarckin's "Everything You Said" with 140 tracks, 50 plug-ins and a high-res 800 MB AVI video file—all running simultaneously on a PCAudioLabs Intel Core i7 desktop machine".

update

15. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I was only referring to SSD's. The rest of technology is moving on at a decent clip.

128bit OS's are gonna pop within 18 months... So I'd leave Windoz alone. The Redmond Retards are barely able to make a 64bit architecture run....

256bit OS's should be dropping on the market in 3-5, which is also part of what will change formfactor's and make most gear 100% obsolete.

I've caught skuttle out there that there might actually be some work being done on 512bit OS... THAT would absolutely boggle the mind as to what that kind of computing power would be.

But to be sure, I wouldn't be investing too much in any DAW that I wouldn't be willing to dump in 36 months for 25% of what you paid for it.

16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

That's amazing Max... can't wait for this.

The Sonar clip, its all running on one SSD from what PC Audio Labs told me last week. This is why I'm so jacked up and expressing my opinion on the OP.

(y)

17. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

One thing to note... as with ALL demo's and sales stuff...

Of course they're gonna show something that works great. They would be foolish to show any flaws in their system... Heck, go look at ANYONE's demo's... They ALL work perfectly.

That was a playback... and NOT a recording session... the one place where SSD's actually do perform well.

I seriously doubt you'd find that actual tracking sessions would work that flawless... midi tracks, might do ok, but I bet you'd still have to account for the latency and shove the tracks around to get em' lined up.

Heck, I used to have a song with 128 tracks in DP2 that ran flawless on playback... and that was a B&W G3. Film scores in PT and Avid typically run 512 tracks and higher... so it doesn't impress me all that much... other than the video wasn't totally hosed when you moved the screens around... but I've only ever experienced that issue on a Windoz box... so that might should be more impressive than it is.

18. PITA

PITA Guest

Pro Tools maybe going to way od the dodo bird. I never understood why those cards were so damned exspensive.

19. hueseph

9 dsp chips per card. That may not justify why they are so expensive but that is the reason. These cards take all of the burden from your cpu. Granted cpus are more powerful now than ever but still.

I'm still undecided on this. It's a huge investment on something that may or may not be on it's way out. I do resent Digi for leaving their customers in the lurch when they know good and well that the hardware is soon to be obsolete. The price is a steal for an HD card AND a 96 i/o interface.

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Here is another take to all this. Which should make us rethink what we should buy or need to buy to stay on top of what's really happening.
    I feel, music technology, cheap or high end DAW's, influences the music scene. So, what we are able to do with this technology, has over the last 20 years changed the kind of music we write and don't forget what the youth is hearing and getting used to.

I used to have a Camero with cam'd up chevy 302 that went like hell. Nice fat tires, used gas like crazy but man what that a blast of fun!

The general youth today isn't interested in hot cars like we were back in those days.

I wonder sometimes if its all that important having all that ALL AT ONCE, tracking power anymore.

I fear a lot of things we call quality just don't matter to the crowd. Where are all those high end stereo shops gone?

Not sure where I'm going with this, but it does fit into why I wouldn't buy into a 20 grand ... 10 grand, 5 grand)) DAW anymore ( invest in the special gear). I don't know if its all that important to be able to record anything more than 8 tracks at a time with the way music is going.

Only a small croud can afford those expensive systems. And there are hundreds of thousands of kids out there using wanker tools with cubase, sonar, reaper etc two tracks at a time. They are the ones that are our future of the music business.
    I miss the old days just sitting around a room with a bunch of friends, only listening to music on an expensive stereo. Those days are definitely gone.

Sorry for side railing this topic.