1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio Have You Ever Wondered: Would Love Mix and Compositional Feedback (performance too).

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by DogsoverLava, Apr 3, 2015.

1. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Active Member

Original Song:
    First real completed mix of this -- trying for a real "sway" kinda feel (hips moving) -- laying back - trying to get a rolling groove going (even though I'm using Superior Drummer). Still working at achieving an Americana kind of rock feel - a little Southern, and little California - a little Nashville.... trying to develop my vocabulary here. Any thoughts or comments welcome.

There are a few exposed elements in the mix - hoping for some direction there to help me with it. As far as genre - also looking for some direction there. Where does this dwell?

Anyway -- as always - thanks for any input offered.

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for sharing your work, Interesting song !
    About the mix, everything seems well balance in termes of volume, pan and space.
    The only thing is, you seem to have a case of over abuse of Hipass filters (specially the lead vocal).
    The drum isn't suffering too much of it, and the guitars are near ok, but the bass is too far in the mix and the vocals are very thin.
    Is it possible that your listening system gives you too much bass ?

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Love it when we disagree like this!
    hehe, sounds great to me! sort of 54 40 (y)
    Those guy in the east don't know the west coast tricks hehe!!! :p

Vox is great, you have room for the bass now! Fill the mix with sub info
    I think the mix is lacking bass in the bass itself, not the vox, its right on! Its ready for the bass detail.

Make me proud!:love:

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

(y)

Could be that indeed.

5. DogsoverLava

Thanks guys -- yes I've two main listening stations functional right now and one is very bass heavy and the other bass lacking so I was shooting for the middle but fell short. Just did the car trip around the block (which has been a good place to check mixes for me) and I did hear the lack of bass and a little harshness on the vocals (which I think are need to be lowered slightly by a few db). I'll work on bring the bass back in and see what the effect is. It may "soften" the vocals just by inclusion.

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

It will indeed! My opinion, Don't mess with the vocals right now.

7. DogsoverLava

Here's the same track with the bass guitar brought up. Currently there's no Eq on the Master track (never was) so this is just sliding up the bass fader a couple of db's

8. DogsoverLava

Still thinking more bass -- at lower volume the cohesion kinda falls apart.

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I'm down for the night but I'm sure you are in good hands. See you tomorrow. Looking forward to others.
    Be sure you leave your first example up until you are at least done here so we all have a reference as you progress here.

Cheers

10. pcrecord

The bass instrument is much better in place now. I still think the vocals still miss the bottom content but, I fully respect that it may be an artistic decision.
    Since I don't like long vocal bending in general, the back vocal last bend is a bit disturbing for me. It's a very personnal comment but I would have made only one pitch progression in the chorus (on the word why) because it gets weird at the end.

Everyone is different in his/her background, influences, experiences and taste. It's fun to challenge ideas and opinions! ;)
    I rather write an opinion that is way off track and be corrected than be silent. I think it's the best way to learn, specially when the ego is put aside !

11. DogsoverLava

I'm feeling you on the bg vocals. I was trying to create the illusion of a looser more live vibe - where the chorus and bg vocals sounded like the band members were stepping up to the mic in a live sort of way - a bit haphazard with a bit of a disorganized and not written out kind of harmony -- I ended phrases at slightly different times. Listening back I see that getting old fast. Before we're done here I'll re-record them a bit more gently but with more precision and less bending and crossing. I think you are spot on on the critique -- they become a distraction on repeated listens. Could the bass come up more in the bass? Is there a frequency that's calling out in the bass to be filled?

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

the guitar and the snare is out of balance between the bass and vox. . I would reduce the guitar 4db down, most likely 2 db on the snare and you'll need to adjust the hats then too. I'd still add more subs to the bass bit right now the balances are off. . Your snare could have a bit better verb on it as well.

the mix is so close to big improvements. If you get it sitting right, a wide curve in the mastering will make great change. You need to get the balances better first. Make sense? Hope that helps.

13. DogsoverLava

Thanks Chris - so I dropped the Guitars, snare and hats as recommended - added a we bit of verb to snare and gave the bass almost 1db boost with a few tweaks to the eq on it (adding back a little in the 90hz and 180hz range - very subtle). Also did a tiny tiny tiny adjustment on the EQ of the Lead vocal - just slightly pulled the curve left -- even more subtle). At this point I've made no changes to the track itself in terms of retracking vocals or bg vocals --- this way I can focus on the improvements made on the changes made (cause effect).

As far as Mastering goes -- I have no idea what that fully does to a track at this stage - would I be right in assuming that Mastering would be done on the two track master channel? Does a Masterer need stems or does he take a two track?

Also - as I've been using Superior drummer - I've not included any fills in the drum mix so it's relatively straight -- how apparent to the listener is that? How much would drum fills augment the track?

14. audiokid

audiokid Staff

This is getting so good! Bass is way better.

Your Vox in the verse's are too soft . Turn them up a bit and add a bit of bass on them (just for the verse's)
    The snare and hats are still too loud. Turn both of them down another 2 db.

Do this next change for me. Then, upload that to our forum using the upload. I will load it into my DAW and see if an overall freq curve will help.

15. DogsoverLava

Will Do - what file format and size do you want?

16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Ultimately, a mix should be 95% there . But in some cases, the mixer may not hear what it needs and a master can improve a lot of the mix, especially if the balances are all in place and its a simple process of doing a wide curve here or there like we do on a stereo.
    Of course mastering gets very detailed and clinical, but for now, I'm hearing past things and just trying to get your ear better with some suggestions.

Fills are always the finishing touches to a cool drum performance. But lets just get the mix sitting better. You can have fum after building is better once you get this closer. The snare room or verb... is imho, still not right but I'm more concerned getting this fuller, fatter.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

mp3 it, thats all our upload will take. This isn't a sonic test. Mp3 bitrate 320

18. DogsoverLava

OK changes Made - Uploading file here. v4

Attached Files:

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Personally, I love stem mastering. I think its the bomb. Did you write this? It sounds familiar.

Another tip, the dynamics of the drums lack, its what give sample drums a band name. But don't take it to heart. I have years experience in programming. Its art and can take days to get just the drums right. I don't always want my drums to fool people, but in the case I would because its got "room to do it. Songs at the bpm, with only the basic 4 piece sound have the potential to get "HUGE" and dynamic sounding. You can program drums so no one would even think about it. But, thats another topic.
    I often look at songs with a publishing POV. meaning, get the song fat and punching, if it sounds like its programmed, thats doesn't matter. In fact, that can sell a song better because , imagine how this track would sound with 4 or 5 guys playing it.

20. pcrecord

Just one word : WOW
    Big difference !

audiokid likes this.