1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

HD Cluster Size?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Doublehelix, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I am trying to format my 2nd hard drive that will be soley dedicated to my audio files. I have read that it is best to format this drive as a FAT32 drive, and that I should add a switch to the format command as:

format D: /z:64

to get 32K clusters.

Well, when I shell out to "DOS" (I know, it is not *really* DOS, but I am an old guy, and it looks like DOS), I get an error that says /z:64 is an "invalid parameter".

I remember some things from my DOS days, and typed "format /?" to get a list of acceptable commands, and the "/z" switch is not listed. There is a switch that lookes like it used to specify cluster size...I need to get a 32K cluster size, so what is should the parameter look like:

format D: /a:32 ?

format D: /a:64 ?

Since the /z command was supposed to use "64" to get a 32K cluster, I thought I'd better find out before I do this incorrectly.

I'd appreciate any help that is out there.

2. llornkcor

llornkcor Active Member

May 8, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia (originally Boulder, CO, USA)
    Home Page:
    hmm, Try
    format /a:64 for 64 kilobye cluster

For help type
    format /?

3. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    I was able to trick mine do to that by using my Win98SE disk..I booted up with CDROM support..when it got to the dos prompt I went into Fdisk and made the second hard drive an active primary drive..restarted..back into the 98se boot with CDROM support..went to the win98 directory and then typed in format d:/z:64..worked just fine...but do what ljp says first..if what he suggests dont work..do my little trick!!
  4. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Oct 7, 2001
    For some reason, I am unable to format the drive. I get an error message that says that the drive is too large for a FAT32 format. (It is a 40GB HD). I have formatted it using the WD utility that came with the drive, althought I am unable to specify the cluster size.