1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Headphone distribution

Discussion in 'Recording' started by KingSix, Jan 13, 2010.

1. KingSix

KingSix Active Member

What's the best bang for the bucks? I need one who can plug 4 headphones.

2. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

How many, and what type of aux lines have you got available to push a headphone system?

3. KingSix

KingSix Active Member

Only one stereo mix.... or 2 mono mix... 2 x 1/4 jack

4. KingSix

KingSix Active Member

no one can help? just info...

5. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

I have used Berinfinger(very noisy but cheap) and I presently have an ART which is less than impressive but inherited. I know Rane makes a very good unit that you might find used on feebay. What are you coming out of?

6. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

I own a 4-channel Berinfinger that jg mentions, and a Rane 6-channel I got used off feebay for around 100 bucks.
    The 1st is very noisy indeed.
    I like the Rane b/c my Firestudio option of sending multiple cues (mixes), and the Rane supports 6 mono/stereo inputs,
    each routed to its own individual channel -
    whereas the Berinfinger (I like that!) only accepts a single stereo input.
    Drummer wants more vocals? Bassist wants more drums? Guitarist only wants to hear himself? Done.

7. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I have the Rane that I use for mobile/remote sessions... and highly recommend it.

8. KingSix

KingSix Active Member

Thanks a lot everyone... I'll look at the Rane

9. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

OZ Music used to sell something called a Q-Mix. I think Mackie bought them out... and renamed the mixer HMx-56.

4 balanced TRS Aux inputs + LR Stereo ins to 6 headphone mixes. Should be cheap if you can find one on ebay or Craigslist.

http://www.mackie.com/products/hmx56/index.html

Furman still makes that sort of thing too.

10. Rimshot

Rimshot Guest

I have one of those Behringer 4 preamp headphone splitters - and bang for the buck I didn't see anything that comes close. For lightweight portable recording the thing is amazing; fits in your pocket and cost about 35$. Noise wasn't a problem, in fact the audio quality was pretty good.