1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Headphone monitor on mixer

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sonicsnes, May 13, 2010.

1. sonicsnes

sonicsnes Guest

Hey! I've had this problem for ages, but could never really find an answer (googling for "mixer headphone monitor" turns up quite a variety). So, I've come here for help :)

I use a mixer almost daily (for music mixing, internet broadcasts, home projects, etc). I also prefer to use headphones with my mixer (plugged into the phones out). Now here's the problem:

I keep the main mix level at about +0db on average. For the proper headphone monitoring level, I have to crank the "Phones volume" to almost the minimum. With the knob this low, channels in my headphones randomly cut out - I have to jiggle the knob until it works, then not touch it. So, the question is:

Am I doing things correctly? When using a mixer with headphones, is it typical for the phones volume to be so low? Should I be using some type of headphone "amp" between the mixer and my headphones?

Hopefully someone can help me finally solve this problem :p
  2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    What mixer? What phones?
  3. sonicsnes

sonicsnes Guest

Behringer 2442fx with a pair of sony mdr-v700s
  4. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    The design of the 2442FX and its siblings leaves a lot to be desired. I would use an external headphone amplifier unit connected to the Control Room Out of the mixer. Something like the SM Pro AUdio M-Patch 2 would work well and give you passive volume control for active monitors as well.
  5. sonicsnes

sonicsnes Guest

Thanks boswell, that's kinda what I was thinking (although I'll probably go with some cheaper headphone amp with less features).

Thanks for the help.