1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Headphones for the booth?

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by 187, May 10, 2005.

1. 187

187 Guest

I know I need some closed backs but thats all I know any reccommendation brands or modles?

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Sennheiser HD280

3. Boltino

Boltino Guest

I second the Sennheiser HD280 - very flat w/ good isolation

Wes

4. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

I don't know the S HD280's, but I've used alot of phones and I do like my latest - Beyer Dynamic DT770's - though I have no reference as to how "flat" they actually are, they are comforatable, sound nice and seem to be built well.

TG

5. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

I use the audio technica ath-30's i'm not sure if thats exactly what they letters are. anyway they're very light and every vocalist i've had in my studio has commented on how nice they were, and they aren't too expensive.

6. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I third the sennys 280- great cans for a hundred bucs 8)

7. roguescout

roguescout Guest

Ultrasone HFI-550's. Amazing isolation. Amazing sound.

8. VancouverVoX

VancouverVoX Guest

audio technica ATH-M40/fs

fs = flat sound .... very very flat ..

use for mixdown and other accurate work.
    $150.00 canadian

9. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

I love the AKG K-271. Amazing for the price, and accurate enough that the singer grasps the concept of working the mic very easily (within reason :wink: ). It's very important that they are broken in first, as they are VERY bass heavy when used straight out of the box.

John Stafford

10. Vaylence

Vaylence Guest

Senheisers yo! I got a set of these, and they work great. 280's

11. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

yeah, we all love'em

12. JLiRD808

JLiRD808 Active Member

Anyone try the Equation XB-1 (extended bass) or SP-20's?

My local retailer is selling these.
    They're about $100/each.

13. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

For that $100.00, you can buy a REAL professional set of phones-Sennheiser 280 rules! There are TOO many "local retailers" that can't compete with the mail-order sites "head-to-head" and try to unload off-brands to the consumer at the same price to make a quick $$. If you aren't impressed with the Sennheisers (I dunno why), the Sony MD7506 is another popular PRO set, same price...

14. JLiRD808

JLiRD808 Active Member

"Unfortunately" I live in Honolulu, HI :wink: and we don't have too many retail shops here so it's difficult to try things out.

So is Equation really a no name brand? The quality seems nice. The retailer tells me that they list for $169.99.

http://www.equationaudio.com/

Check it!

15. traveler

traveler Guest

Just be aware if you are vocal tracking with a set of the Sennheiser 280Pro's and have a mid to deep male voice, they couple so darn well that the resonance from your vocal cavity will couple through the earpieces and provide you with an annoying bass quality that completely muddys up what you hear. NO amount of EQ can remove this believe me I've tried. For mixdowns or monitoring OTHER people they can't be beat. I relented and went with my old favorite (in the newer lowered impedance and efficient version), the AKG K240 Studio models. I had previously used the K240 DF's but they require way too much juice to get them loud. The Studio's give me the efficiency I require, and a very linear response without any mud or unrealistic sizzle that isn't really there. You can't really beat the 240 Studios for honesty. One thing they have ALL headphones beat in by a country mile is shear comfort. I now can track my (male) vocal and not have that muddiness to bother me. For ultimate listening or monitoring of a mix and others tracking, the 280Pros are indeed a wonderful headphone, and will isolate like crazy........

16. traveler

traveler Guest

Just be aware if you are vocal tracking with a set of the Sennheiser 280Pro's and have a mid to deep male voice, they couple so darn well that the resonance from your vocal cavity will couple through the earpieces and provide you with an annoying bass quality that completely muddys up what you hear. NO amount of EQ can remove this believe me I've tried. For mixdowns or monitoring OTHER people they can't be beat. I relented and went with my old favorite (in the newer lowered impedance and efficient version), the AKG K240 Studio models. I had previously used the K240 DF's but they require way too much juice to get them loud. The Studio's give me the efficiency I require, and a very linear response without any mud or unrealistic sizzle that isn't really there. You can't really beat the 240 Studios for honesty. One thing they have ALL headphones beat in by a country mile is shear comfort. I now can track my (male) vocal and not have that muddiness to bother me. For ultimate listening or monitoring of a mix and others tracking, the 280Pros are indeed a wonderful headphone, and will isolate like crazy........

17. Clayjrjr2

Clayjrjr2 Guest

yes, i have these

$109.99

18. We want them cheaper...

You can get the cans here for just $99.99 :
    http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-hd-280-pro.php :cool:
    Please send the 10 bucks to my bank acount. :p