1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by Vanillaice378, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Out of the two models which is the best headphones for studio monitoring?

Sony MDR-V600

Sony MDR-V700DJ
  2. MDR-V600 http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDRV600&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Headphones_CDSeriesStudioMonitor

MDR-V700DJ http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/ INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDRV700DJ&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Headphones_CDSeriesStudioMonitor
  3. The shape and design of the MDR-V600 is the same as the Sony MDR-7509 studio headphones.

The shape of the MDR-V700DJ is like the Sony MDR-7505.
  4. Caisson

Caisson Guest

are you talking about monitoring as in mixing down.....or as in tracking?

if you don't have the resources to use nearfield monitors than either one of those styles will work about the same for you.

other than the design of the phones....look at the layout of each (ie. frenquency, noise, insolation fabric, etc)

I use the 280 pro's (sennheiser) they have a good iso on them.
  5. I am talking about both mixing down and tracking.
  6. I wanted to know out of those two models which is overall best for tracking and mixing down.
  7. I need to know which will equally perform well in both mixing and tracking?
  8. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Problem with this kind of question is you are looking for someone who has used both of these for the applications you state.

Likely not many folks out there who meet the "specs"? Most have bought and use one or the other... As stated, there is likely little difference in either..?

Honestly, I don't know too many folk who use the Sony phones(Though I'm sure there are alot that do!). Most of my aquaintances use AKG or Sennheiser. I use Beyerdynamic.

More seriously(?), no one can answer your question but you - phones are a very personal thing! So if you really need to know, get a pair of each(You'll surely find use for both pairs and I've seen these type "re-man" phones at our local Sony Outlet for cheap.) and report back to us on how they work?

9. iznogood

iznogood Guest

never use phones to mix!!!

it's impossible to get a good mix on phones....

i use sennheiser 265 linear
  10. Vince Jaeger

Vince Jaeger Guest

I have a pair of the MDR V600s and I have listened with a pair of the V700DJs once.

The V600s are probably one of the best low end of the market cans man can buy although I wouldn't use them for FR accuracy, the detail in the midrange seems to be a bit lacking... For Tracking and for checking details like glitches pops and noise they are great.
    Build quality = not all that great and no detachable cord...

The V700s are the 'dj' version of the cans, they seemed to overemphasize the low end IMO mid range was about the same as the v600s and the highend aswell... Build quality = not all that great and no detachable cord...

Spec diffs I know of the top of my head:
    v600 - 40mm driver, 106db/mW sens, 5-30kHz, 45ohms
    v700 - 50mm driver, 107db/mW sens, 5-30kHz, 24ohms

Overall If you want any of these pairs get a pair of the v600s...
    If you want a 'nice and accurate' pair of reference cans get something in the 250$ range like the sennheiser hd 250mkII's, Beyerdynamic DT 250-80's, or if you like supra-aural - Beyerdynamic DT 880's, AKG K 501's, Sennheiser HD 580's, Sennheiser HD 595's.

edit: ^^

All the above is IMO.
  11. Vince Jaeger

Vince Jaeger Guest

Correction... ;)
  12. iznogood

iznogood Guest

thankyou :cool:

you can use headphones to check your mix against music you know

just don't use them for eq or levels...
  13. How about this. I want peep who ever has one of these headphones to tell how good they think they are and then we can compair the two.
  14. jonnyc

jonnyc Guest

Man not many people around here are using sony headphones. I know you want to know about the specific headphones you mention but as another guy mentioned, phones like AKG's and Sennheiser's are way more popular, a lot of people also like Audio Technica's. Honestly when I was headphone shoppping I just picked what fit in my pricerange, had decent attentuation. I ende up with audio technica ath-40's and I love them but I could probably put on any of the popular headphones around here and get the same results. Just letting you know you may be waiting awhile to get info on those phones.
  15. Matti

Matti Active Member

Aug 26, 2005
    I have MDR-V700 and am happy with them. Actually I think they
    are pretty balanced.
  16. I would like everyone who has one of these headphones to reply here and tell what they think about them please.

Thank You
  17. Of cource peep who already replyed doesn't have to reply again about the two headphones I was talking about.
  18. axel

axel Guest

it has been said already, but it can't be said often enough...

you just end up fooling yourself, headphones in a studio / production enviroment are for tracking, and checking things like reverb tails and noise. even this you should better do over the monitors...

about the headphones itself, i have bad experiences with sony headphones in terms of built quality, and sound leaking, said this the 7506 / 09 are ok and good sounding, i definetely would leave my fingers from the mdr-700, i had those and they just look fancy, and are good for dj-ing and falling apart as soon as you unpack them... (they apparently fixed that in the new version of the 700, thou...) i also owned a pair of 7506 and mdr 900s (the "bigger version of the 900s), both i personally don't really recomend, the 75 series is sounding very good but i don't like the built quality of all those japanese headphones... but that's just my personel experience here on RO are a few 75 users who say oposite...

if you look to spend your money into quality, then i would go for either those: sennheiser hd 280, akg 271 or beyer dynamic dt 770 they all are very sturdy built (the dt770 is like a tank!!) with replacable parts and have all very good isolation against leaking sound, important for monitoring during recording

here on RO you will find a few friends of the 7506 / 09 but most of ROer's like there hd 280s or 271s or 770s they are just good sounding "workhorses"

just my 2cents

19. I noticed that the MDR-V6 is high rated but which is better? The MDR-V6 or the MDR-V600
  20. I found out that the MDR-V6 sounds exactly the same as the MDR-7506 so thats cool.