1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Hearing Your Monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by Guitarfreak, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Distinguished Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I've got this problem, but I don't think it is my monitors, I think that it could be me or possibly monitor placement/room treatment or lack thereof. I can hear slight EQ changes throughout a good portion of the frequency range quite easily. I can also detect small changes in level balance quite easily in a mix situation. I can also 'hear' slight differences in compressor settings and how they affect the track. So it's not the monitors.

Here it is right here. Sometimes and for some reason I cannot detect small differences in timbre that I should be detecting, or I have to strain for it. Fine right? So what? The thing is, I can hear them more easily on other systems like an MP3 file through my car stereo or my iPod headphones.

For instance, I did a before and after comparison of a guitar pickup change. Given that the pickups were pretty similar sounding, I had to strain to hear the difference on my monitors, but the file played back on my iPod seemed to highlight the difference more clearly.

More recently I recorded guitar tracks using different mics and again it's the same situation.

Links are for clarity and first hand proof, I'm not looking to advertise myself or anything. What I want to know is, is this a normal thing?
  2. Guitarfreak

Feb 21, 2009
  3. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    In my inexperience, it seems like the 2nd of each link seems a little brighter, or with a bit more presence. The first ones seem a little fuller or bassier.

They are both cool however.

Hope I could help a bit.
  4. Guitarfreak

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks, yeah that's been my experience with them as well. The first of each fitting more of a classic sound with the seconds more of a modern sound IMO.

Here is a pic of my mixing desk, I know there are a lot of things wrong with placement, desk material etc. but right now it's all I have. Tear it apart.