1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Heat In The Rack

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Derm, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Derm

Derm Guest

I got a new preamp and I stuck it in the rack. The rack has no side, top, or back panels, so theres plenty of breathing space.The manufacturer recommends a full space above and below the unit for ventilation, yet whenever I see those fancy pictures of those fancy pro studios, the gear is always racked piece on top of piece, usually in a rack with side and top panels.
    This pre vents top and bottom, anybody got any thoughts on the subject?

2. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

All the studios are full of racks of these: http://www.funklogic.com/products.htm

Great for impressive visuals and rack cooling. :lol:

3. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

I would go for the cooling and not for having your rack stuffed. We try and leave one rack space between each piece of equipment for two reasons. One is heat the other is that some manufactures don't use toridal transformers and their transformers can radiate a lot of hum producing fields around the transformer. Since no two manufactures have their transformers in the same area the hum producing field in one unit could be over a high gain stage in another unit.

4. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

Although I am guilty of rack stuffing as well, I try (note...try) to leave spaces for ventilation as well as cleaning the layer of dust that invariable accumulates...

Remember, although minimal, that layer of dust also holds in heat.