1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Helicopter in my headphones!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by evhwanabe, Jan 15, 2003.

1. evhwanabe

evhwanabe Guest

When I play back thru my MOTU 828 and listen to it in my headphones (which are plugged into the headphone jack on the 828) it sounds like there is a helicopter in my phones. When I playback just using my computers Sound Blaster Card it sounds fine! By the way using Sonar
  2. llornkcor

llornkcor Active Member

May 8, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia (originally Boulder, CO, USA)
    Home Page:

Could be a out of phase problem, that you cant really hear when you listen to speakers.
    Could be a loop somewhere, maybe.
  3. evhwanabe

evhwanabe Guest

It sounds like the rotors of a helicopter going by your house hehe, that is the best way I can explain it. The recording is only one track from one source so how could it be out of phase? I have tried it from a bunch of sources too.
  4. eskimo

eskimo Guest

Do you live near Opus? You might be picking up the noise from the CPU Fan of his new 28Ghz P4
  5. evhwanabe

evhwanabe Guest

Nope Im in NY he's in Cali :)
  6. Prolab

Prolab Guest

Did you look outside? LOL Just kidding.

It does sound like a loop. IF you take the headphone output and use that as the signal path to your amplifier and speakers and the problem still happens, at least you will know to start looking in the record /playback console in windows (if it is windows) or your mixer in the computer and uncheck some inputs and outputs until it goes away.

I hope this is helpful.
  7. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2002
    copter's in the 'puter.I never heard of that one yet, but I like it. In Sonar, try going to options>audio>advanced and see if you have the box checked that says "share drivers with other programs".