1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Hello!! Advice for a beginner on A Home Setup :D

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Tyriall, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Tyriall

Tyriall Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Hi Guys.

I'm Mike. I am 22 & from Australia. As the Title might suggests I am new to the world of Audio engineering... Please be Kind :D I'm also not 100% sure this is the right place to post lol....It does say newbie so I will stick it in here for the moment...lol

SO I am now looking for a System that I can make into a recording SetUp.

It was suggested i sign up here and start asking questions rather than just over at Whirlpool.net.au

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro 15" which I lug around with me everywhere so I have some experience with GB and Logic(not alot) and Mac's.

I am looking for Permanent Setup. So using my Current MBP isn't really on the cards.

I have a Roland LX-10 Digital Grand Piano that I like to hook up to My laptop every now and then but I am looking for a More permanent Solution. I am a singer so I am also looking for a Small mixing Board/Interface that I can Plug a Microphone into and Go straight into ProTools/Logic.

When I Say Mixing board it is only because I like the idea of a Physical board to play around with :D

I want to record piano and 1-3 tracks of vocals at the same time.. Eventually I will invest in some drum mic's for my kit

Probably won't want use more that 16 tracks while I'm learning the tricks to the trade :)

Any suggestions on Boards/Interfaces and Mic's for Vocals?

I am Primarily a Music Theatre performer (Lyric Baritone)..But also train Classically. I sing Lots of Jazz Standards and Big ballads along with some up tempo stuff but do Not have the most Contemporary of voices....alot more on the Legit Side of things.

SO Far the only Mic to have been Suggested is the Rode NT2-A. Any other suggestions?

People have also Suggested the Apogee Duet 2, Focusrite Safire Pro 24 DSP and Pro 40 ( the 8 input one...i think)

I have a pair of Shure SR840's and Westone UM1 IEM's...planning on getting Westone 4's soon. Not sure if my room is suited to Monitors at this time. The room I have my stuff in is a large entertainment room with a 3m High alcove ceiling. One wall has acoustic plasterboard and insulation and there are 4 windows and a double window sliding door. I don't know how good that would be for monitors....

Interns of a Systems any suggestions as to the minimum specs i should really be considering. I have been Looking 2009-2010 Model 27" iMacs and Mac Pros from the Refurb Store and Second Hand (Pre-Loved as some might say...lol) to try and cut costs.

ATM Brand new I am looking at something like this in terms of an iMac;
    3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad

AUD $3454 (less When Salary Sacrificed :D)

Max I'm looking to spend in this moment in time is AUD $5000

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks In advance!

Mike a.k.a Tyriall