1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Hello from a new Asus-Northwood user

Discussion in 'Recording' started by audiohead, Mar 14, 2002.

1. audiohead

audiohead Guest

Hi folks,

Seeing as more and more people, following in OPUS's footsteps, are selecting the Asus - Northwood combo for their new DAWs, I suggest we form Asus-Northwood User Society (ANUS for short) :)

audiohead

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Did someone say Anus? or Hanus? lmao!! Great title man!! love it!! lol
    Keep the thermal interface on...I've never had to put another paste on to keep it cooler...it's only when you remove the heat sink from the processor after it's been used that you need to add more paste or replace it.
    Glad to see another victim..err, I mean DAW user follow my blind ways!! lmao!
    Good luck and let the questions roll!!
    Opus

3. Nick Driver

Nick Driver Guest

I've also just sent off my order for a brand new P4 Northwood 1.6a and ASUS (P4T-E) mobo and will be building a DAW for my home studio. Yeah, I know all about the 100MB/s PCI limit bug in the i850 chipset, but I really don't think it'll cause me any problems since I'm not going to be multitracking a bazillion tracks with Ultra160 scsi drives... just a few tracks with lowly ATA/100 drives which really only sustain in the neighborhood of 40MB/s tops. The extra memory bus bandwidth was what I was primarily after.

Will I try to overclock it? You betcha! :p

--Nick

4. Opus2000

Here's something to make sure you get...the Malaysian P4's...for some reason they are safer to OC than any other P4 made elsewhere.
    For example...our good new member Jetoney has built a P4 1.6a(see need all hardware and software Guru's post)and he can not OC it unless he raises the voltage core to the chip..now, meanwhile I've got mine going just fine without having to adjust nothing in the BIOS whatsoever! So...hunt em down folks..Malaysian P4's are the way to go!!!
    Let us know how your systems spec out guys!!
    All hail the ANUS club!! lmao!! what a great name!!
    Opus

5. audiohead

audiohead Guest

Thanks Opus for your enthusiastic posts which helped me make up my mind. Indeed, the system was a breeze to set up - no problems (well, actually, I had one - my SBLive wouldn't play wav files in Win98SE, but it was easily cured with the latest drivers update). I haven't tried to o/c it yet since I have some reservations about the effect of PCI bus frequency increase on my main audio card (Audiophile). It is interesting, what audio cards are you guys using and how do they behave when the FSB frequency is set to 133 MHz?

Cheers :)

6. Opus2000

Depends on what setup I'm using..I use the Tascam US428, the Layla20bit and an RME 9652...all work just fine with OC'd to 2.133Ghz!!!
    Opus

7. speedracer

speedracer Guest

OPUS,

My ANUS machine is up and running. Wow! can't believe the performance. I'm hangin' out at 1.6GHz for a few days to make sure there are no factory-direct problems. Thanks OPUS for being the guinne pig for all of us lowly daw users - YOU'RE THE MAN!

issues:

1) The P4B mobo only accepts 1.5v video cards. I had to put in a really ancient PCI video card (I don't even know the manufacturer or model, but win2k recognized it). The machine did lock up a couple of times during instal "something about memory dump." I suspect the old card may have had something to do with it. Any suggestions on video cards? All of my computer buddies say that nvidia is the bomb!

2) Also unfortunately, I did get audio included on the mo-board by accident. I dissabled it in BIOS but I suppose there's a possibility of conflict with my Layla 24 and Mia 24. Specifically, I dissabled the "on-board audio" but had to leave the "AC97 audio" activated in order for the soundcards to work. the manual said that PCI slots 2 and 6 are "open" as opposed to "shared" so that's where I put them. Any suggestions?

3) I remember you posting some win2k optimization tips, but I can't seem to find the post. could you please give me a link?

Rok on,
    speedracer

8. Opus2000

Yes..most of the newer boards today take advantage of the 1.5V AGP cards and need that to run...I reccomend any video card except for Svirge based chipsets..
    As long as the Vid card is 32MB and lower it should be fine...ATI, Matrox or Nvidia are all fine cards to get...

I have the onboard audio and keep it running with no problems..I have that set as my default audio out for windows..also I have disabled all the USB ports except the USB 2.0 which I have currently running my US428..dont know if there's any difference in performance but why the hell not ..right?!!

If the IRQ's arent sharing with anything then I'm sure the cards are in the correct slots!

http://www.opusaudioprojects.net/Articles.htm

there is the link to the Win2k Optimization doc..altho I will be adding the XP doc within a few days..I'm also going to update the 2K guide as well..I will let you know when it is done..
    The XP doc is almost done I just have to finalize it and add in all the fun tweaks at the end!!

Glad to have been the guinea pig for you guys!
    Opus :D

9. Nick Driver

Nick Driver Guest

just got my pile of parts delivered today from googlegear and will be assembling them as soon as I get over this %@^#$!& strep throat :mad: and my brain isn't frying so much with fever. On a more cheerful note, I did luck out and get a "Malaysia" P4 1.6a chip so hopefully it'll be a good OC'er. I'll post a report when I get the thing built.

10. Opus2000

Woohoo!! Altho we found out that CR chips are fine!! It was Jetoney's operator setup error that gave him those restarts!!
    Anyhue..another SDFC2000 Special or what?! lol
    Good luck and let us know!
    Opus

11. jtheat

jtheat Guest

Hi fellows ANUSes! Am I glad I just found this forum! I just bought a p4b266 and a 1.6a GHz two weeks ago and have been pulling my hair out ever since. First my Maxtor HD was bad, had to send it back.... then my floppy was bad - imagine that! ... then I installed Partition Magic, did a few operations fine, then the next day I resized to boot partition, and it crashed big time. Had to up the ante-up for the lastest 7.1 version just to talk with tech support and get it back on line! anyway, I'm up and running now but haven't bought my new daw equip - will do that in a couple of months as $ permit. I'll keep monitoring you folks and see what's up, and if things keep breaking, I would like a shoulder to cry on! Thanks for being here! JT

PS I was told all the lastest video cards are 1.5 volt, the old ones are different. I got a ATI VE dual screen card for $45, as they are discontinued but highly recommended. It's running without a hitch.

12. ellmorej

ellmorej Guest

I see a lucrative marketing opportunity here bumper stickers T-shirts etc. possible slogans:
    I LOVE MY ANUS. ID RATHER BE BOOTIN MY ANUS. etc. :D

13. starman66

starman66 Guest

I'm pleased that my first post in this forum is join with my fellow ANUSes. Just yesterday I ordered a P4B266C and a 1.6A GHz. Along with two new Seagate drives, 512 MB Crucial, Enermax 350W power supply, and a Matrox G450. I have high hopes of a great system when this overhaul is completed. I'm leaning toward a Delta 66 to finish it off.

14. theDuDe

theDuDe Guest

Hey, how do you guys feel about DDR ram vs. Rambus for P4? (i845 versus i850 chipsets)

6 months ago when I was researching DAWs, the P4 was considered 'not good for audio'... It seemed like the only way to go was AMD or a PIII. Part of the trouble was supposed to be Rambus RAM which was the only choice... something about bad latency. (So at the time I put together an Athlon 1.4 with DDR and haven't got it to work for more than 2 hours without a system crash!! Tried about everything short of buying new mobo. Talk about a huge waste of time!)

Anyhow, I'm looking to build again, and it seems that the whole P4/Rambus is now a non-issue? What happened? Why the change of heart? Now rambus=good?

So I figure that while I could 'theoretically' get an XP 2100 to work, well... now that P4 is apparently resurrected, I'm thinking it would likely be a surer thing. And while the AMD 133mhz system bus should theoretically offer better PCI throughput, my instict is that Intel at 100mhz is probably gonna beat it 'in the field'.

So what's the ideal P4 system look like?

thanks all,
    theDuDe

15. Opus2000

Ideal set up is P4 1.x or 2.x(your choice!)
    Asus P4B266 mainboard with the Intel845D chipset(D standing for DDR support)
    The beginning days of P4 basically no software or OS's were truly optimized for their FPU's..now it's okely dokely..especially with XP.
    the Intel 850 chipset has a data corruption bug on files 90MB and larger...one may not see this happen to them but why take the chance.
    Rdram has never been an issue..it's been the chipset/processor.
    As you see here there are a bunch of people duplicating my setup because it works and works like nothin I've seen! fast, furious and stable as all hell!!
    Opus

16. Nick Driver

Nick Driver Guest

I finally assembled my pile of new parts (P4T-E 1.6a, rambus) last night and begun playing with the overclocking.

I ended up getting a P4T-E with the CYP clock generator chips instead of the more desireable and now extremely hard-to-find ICS chips so my mobo will never be able to do 533 memory speeds :( , but still at 3X memory bus multiplier, runs at 399MHz memory clock speed. I wonder how 3X at 399 memory bus will compare in thruput to 4x at lower FSB/overall lower cpu speeds? At FSB set to 133 where the PCI and AGP dividers are set to run at normal speed, the machine is rock solid stable at 2.13 GHz with cpu voltage set at default 1.50v.

I'll finish installing the O/S this weekend and then run some benchmarks to compare normal clocking vs. various overclocking speed settings.

I'm kinda wishing that now I would have bought the P4B266 DDR combo instead, but I'll probably be happy enough with what I've got.

17. Opus2000

Ya..well I kinda wished I waited for the new intel chips coming out with a norm of 533 FSB!! DOH!!!!!
    Opus

18. Nick Driver

Nick Driver Guest

I'd thought about waiting for that too, but I'm just too impatient... gotta have it right now so like the old saying goes: ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances ;)

Still this new machine, even running at stock clock speed, is literally more than twice as fast (feels like 4 times faster) than my old one so I've got no real reason to gripe...especially since the total cost of all these upgrade parts is only about half of what the old machine cost to build three years ago and now I've finally collected enough parts to build a couple complete extra machines, except for monitors, out of all my old stuff so I can finally have dedicated MIDI hosts for my old SB-AWE32 and Gravis Ultrasound cards to hook up to my vintage Ensoniq VFX/SD and Seqential Circuits Prophet-5 keyboards.

19. Opus2000

Yup...impatient I am as well! I'm surprised I didnt get one sooner but I knew waiting a little bit was ok...
    nice to go from a slow machine to a super duper machine aint it? I went from a PIII650 to the P4 and my jaw drops everytime I use it still! lol!
    Yeah, I've got extra parts lying around as well for a couple of machines too...
    just need some hard drives and a couple of floppy drives and I got my self one extra machine for the VST system link(going to run Cubase 5.1 on it) and another machine to setup as a server/firewall system to feed internet to the main internet/graphics machine..
    I figure my roomates computer(the graphics machine) is kind of bogged down with Norton's and all the internet stuff so if I putthat stuff on the server he'll get a boost in performance for his 3D animation software(Maya)
    Opus

20. Nick Driver

Nick Driver Guest

Well, got XP loaded and ran a couple benchmarks:

PCMark2002 results:

CPU 5270
    MEM 5968
    HDD 1000

On this hardware:

ASUS P4T-E, bios 1005, CYP clock chips
    P4 1.6a retail HSF @ 133 fsb = 2.13GHz 1.50v
    Samsung PC800 256Mx2=512M @ x3 = 399MHz
    ATI Radeon 7500 video
    pair of IBM 80GB 120GXP Series hard drives
    on a Promise FastTrak 100 TX2 mirrored (raid1)

Not too shabby, eh?

SiSoft SANDRA results were all mostly equal to or better than a stock P4 2.0GHz reference except for the hard disk which was just slightly lower than the typical 7200rpm ATA100 reference disk, probably due to waiting on the Promise card to write to both disks.

Looks like I achieved my goal of getting 2.0a GHz performance equivalence out of an OC'd 1.6a and it's rock solid stable.

I haven't yet installed any audio hardware or software but will be messing around with that over the remainder of the weekend.

BTW: using the new machine to post this message :cool: