1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Hello recording.org

Discussion in 'Recording' started by PuJo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. PuJo

PuJo Guest

Yep, I am new here so I will tell you a little about myself.
    Everyone calls me PuJo. I am in Louisiana. I would like to learn more about the home recording thing. Here is my question.

I purchased all this equipment in a package deal and I haven't a clue on how to connect these things in the correct order.

Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro
    Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro DEQ2496
    Behringer Ultra-Q Pro PEQ2200
    Behringer Composer Pro MDX2200
    Behringer UltraFex Pro EX3200 (x2)
    Behringer Virtualizer Pro DSP2024P
    Behringer Tube Ultragain T1953
    Behringer Tube Composer T1952
    Behringer Amplifier 1500 watt
    M-Audio Delta 44

Well, there it is. I have been playing music all my life but never recorded anything. So if anyone cares to help me with this please do. I do not need to be spoon fed, but every bit of information that you can give I will take.

I also have a Fender American Strat, and the BOSS GT-88. Also my 16 yr. old son has the Mapex 7 piece studio set with Zildjian "A's" all over the place.

I would also like to learn how to connect all this stuff to play live (if different from recording).

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    What was the "package" supposed to be for? It's not a recording package. You could connect 4 of the direct channel outputs of the UB244FX to the Delta 44 using TRS jack cables, and record 4 microphones or instruments, but that's about all. Ahh, except you could substitute the Tube Ultragain for 2 of the mixer channels, but I doubt whether it would sound any better.

Live sound is a different matter. However, it usually involves loudspeakers, which I don't see on your list.
  3. taxman

taxman Active Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You have more stuff than knowledge. I would do it the other way around. Get a book, then get the stuff.
    I think you got way oversold a "package" that you don't need. I wouldn't open a box and return the whole darn thing. The stuff you got seems unnecessary, or redundant.

For home recording you need a single or pair of microphones. Good bets for dynamic, small or large diameter conndensers would be Shure SM57, Rhode NT5 for a SMD or Audio Technica for an LDC. They are reasonbly priced and more bang for the buck than the off brand cheapies.

You need a preferabley firewire audio/computer interface. I have an MBox Pro that runs ProTools software. Most of these come with audio software package. You also need monitor speakers and an extra hard drive for your computer. Of course, you need a reasonably capable computer.
  4. casper

casper Guest

Hello Pujo,
    Iwould start here:
    Its agreat reference to make sense of the whole recording thing.

I agree with taxman I would take the stuff back. Much of it is not road worthy and a lot of redundancy. As taxman said there are a lot of interfaces out there that have preamps and software included. Since you have drums and guitar to mic you might want to go for an interface with 8 channels. Look at Presonus, Motu, Mackie and Maudio... For multitracking you want stick with firewire interfaces. The mics that were recomended are a great start. Some can be interchageble with the live rig.

For live work I would look at the Yamaha or Mackie mixers. They are reliable sound good, and reasonable for the price. You need an amp and speakers. To save money I own the mixer and powered monitor speakers. Thats the setup I use for practice. Then for gigs rent an amp and speakers. Definitley saved storage space.
  5. Take it back and learn what you need to start first. The most basic stuff and learn how to use it. As you get better and know more you buy more and better stuff.

The guy who sold that package sold you a package of nothing.

In fact print this out and take it with you so if he gives you a hard time tell him you contacted knowledgeable people on the internet and they all said the same thing.
  6. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    How much did you spend on that package if you don't mind me asking??

Are you interested in recording yourself?

If so, and you spent more than $200 on that package, you got raped.

Who would sell a package deal of purely random Beh**nger gear? That's just not right. That's the equivalent of going to a car stereo dealer and asking for the works for a car stereo and they give you all AC Delco products and give you:

Cables, a mounting harness, part of a head unit, no speakers and a banana (I guess this would have to be Chiquita, not AC Delco...)
  7. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    Nah, I think the Virtualizer is the banana!
  8. PuJo

PuJo Guest

Ok, point taken. But here is the thing. The person whom I purchased these items from is no longer with us. (deceased) I purchased it from the spouse.
    I only paid 300 for the entire deal.

Also, as I forgot to mention !! The speakers are Yamaha BR-12's with some stands.

You see. That is why I have all this stuff. It was all or nothing. At the price I paid, I didn't think it was a bad deal. All the boxes and papers are accounted for, and instruction manuals are included also. There was a big box full of cables, also a spool of Belden mic cable with a lot of male & female XLR's ready to be soldered.

Did I happen to mention that I have had these things for a while now and just now getting time to play with these things. I tried connecting my fender strat to it via my boss GT-8. It sounds ok, but I know it could sound better if I knew what I was doing.

These items were less than a year old when I purchased the stuff, and still in NEW condition.

So, comments are welcomed.
  9. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    Hi, PuJo:
    Now that everyone has drilled into your head that Be^&^%^&r gear is not up to par---even the rank amateurs that visit this site complain about the sound quality--- here is what I would suggest you do. Maybe we can turn all that chicken $*^t into chicken salad...
    Did you get the software/drivers with the Delta 44? Do you have a PC that will accomodate the PCI board? Are you comfortable installing that?
    I'd definitely put that to work. I have a Delta 66 I installed in my stepson's PC, these make a good base for a home recording DAW. We feed the line inputs with the sub outs of a small Mackie and voila!, we got us a 4-bus recordin' rig just like the Beatles had when they did that Dr. Pepper album...
    If you want to impress your friends with all of those bouncing meters on the T1952 and T1953, you can rack those up and feed the preamp into the compressor, than that would go out into the Delta box. Remember that the Delta is a line-level-only deevice, you can't plug a mic directly into it ( you CAN, however, run the Boss thingy into it if you set the level on the Delta to '-10'). So now we have a butt-kickin', meter-peggin' home recordin' rig...
    Now, what to do with the other Be&^^%^^&%r gear that you're stuck with? You got CRAIGSLIST in your neck of the woods? Then use it to dump that junk just like the big mailorder stores do-CHEAP. Box it up with all of the papers, list it in "musical instruments", sell each piece for $50.00.
    Church members snatch that crap up like flies on a cowpie. Your loss is their gain... :cool: Make 'em a package deal. After that , you should have at least $300 back in your wallet. And still have the Yamahas and the cables.
    Now go on e-Bay and pick up a used Mackie 1202VLZ mixer, a couple of SM57/58s. These will all serve you well for both live and recording. And you can pop for a power amp because you DEFINITELY don't want to keep the BE^&^&^r you have now. 1500 watts of pain and grief.
    Good luck and Happy Holidays!
  10. The way it sounded, as with myself, we all thought he went to a music store and had a salesman sell him a can of goods. That's what happens when you assume, I guess.

Some of the stuff is usable as you say. For $300 it's actually a good deal, a few good mic and connecting cables alone cost that much.

I was figuring he laid out well over a grand. For that money I wouldn't sell anything for the simple reason since there is some redundancy, some of the behringer products I have used in the past have just stopped working.

But it's a good starting place until as I said he learns how to use the stuff he has. In the future, if and when he decided to he can move upward in the quality of his equipment.

I think some of those models are older models that aren't made anymore and that was another reason if a music store sold them it would be wrong unless the buyer is told.
  11. PuJo

PuJo Guest

Well, I really didn't want to start selling and buying at this time.

I would like to try and connect the units that I could use for doing some live stuff with my son. He is 17 and plays the drums. He has the Mapex 7 piece studio set with ZIldjian "A's" all over the place.

Just some simple live stuff for now would be great.

I have been reading on some of the items that I have, and got a few connected, but I have a major problem with feed back. I use some kind of 57 mic and there is also an audio technica at-4033CL. That mic I can not use at all. It makes way too much feed back.

Well, I am open again for a drilling.

12. PuJo

PuJo Guest

Heres's a question.

How do you know what unit in the chain connects first. Is there a rule here to follow? Like, the compressor before eq and preamp before everything else?
    I think you guys/girls know what i'm talking about.

13. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    At least he has a 4033..................its a start.

That mic, my friend, is the one you should be using as well as the 57 thing.

The Preamp is first in the chain. The compressor doesnt need to be hooked up until you have read at least a couple of weeks worth of material on the art of recording.

Nor does anything else need to be hooked up until you know what you're doing. Crappy gear will melt as spectacularly as expensive gear if used incorrectly. The repair cost on ALL of the stuff you have will be considerably more than your investment, so it will pay for you to read up on these things. The folks on here can point you in the right directions, but none of us is there to guide your hand at the actual implementation of the gear. Pictures and text that you have in your hands is a much easier way to put you on to making this stuff work.

If you are getting FEEDBACK at all, you are doing something seriously wrong.

Get a book. Study study study.
  14. PuJo

PuJo Guest

I do agree with your comment.
    I need more education!!
    Please advise me on a book or site that would give in detail what I need to know about these components. I have been reading Tweaks Guide. Lot of info there, but I would like to get in depth on these individual components.

Recommendations please.

15. PuJo

PuJo Guest

I do agree with your comment.
    I need more education!!
    Please advise me on a book or site that would give in detail what I need to know about these components. I have been reading Tweaks Guide. Lot of info there, but I would like to get in depth on these individual components.

Recommendations please.

16. bent

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    No problemo...

17. PuJo

PuJo Guest

Thanks, looks like I will be reading !!
  18. PuJo

PuJo Guest

I have been doing some thinking. I don't really want to do any recording. Just live stuff in the basement.

Any sites out there (like this one) dedicated to live stuff, and not recording?

19. Don't give up so fast.

It takes a lot of learning but you can do some live recording with one or two mics in the room.

But it does make you think and develop a new understanding about how hard it is do be a competent recording engineer.

I did live sound and most musicians did not know or understand my job, therefore they showed little respect. Until I picked up a guitar and played, then they showed me lots of respect because I could play, usually much better then they could.
  20. bent

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    Yes you do!

Keep the mixer, mics and cables, speakers and amplifier.

Get a decent 8-24 input rack mount A/D converter and let it rip!

You'll be glad you did!

Do not give up now. You have kids that play music, right?
    Don't stop... For their sake...