1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help a Newbie to Record Acoustic Guitar and Vocals at the Same Time

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Centropolis, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Centropolis

Centropolis Active Member

I am new to recording. I recently bought a Steinberg UR22 as the interface with the bundled Cubase AI 6. I have a Rode NT1A, a SM-57 and a SM58.

I am totally new to recording but I've read a few things online. I am wondering if someone can tell me what effects (for Cubase plug-ins), I will need for basic acoustic guitar and vocals? Reverb I know for sure but what else would I need? Compressor?

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

none. don't use any effects when you record.

3. Centropolis

Centropolis Active Member

Oops....right, what I mean is after I record and mix down I guess.

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

you really don't need anything. you can use what you want. commonly used in your applications are compression, limiting, reverbs, delays, chorus or flangeing.

all these effects should be included in the DAW you already have.

5. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

What Kurt said. BUT you might want to have a SLIGHT bit of compression onhand to tame any dynamic inconsistencies
    for the vocals. Especially if you are NOT a seasoned pro when you step up to the mic. It never hurts to have that available in a pinch. Plus a 6-tapped multi-chorused flanger with gated 'verb at the tail....in true 5.1 surround. I know that it's made me the star that I am today...
    Seriously, though, very little compression, at least until you learn how it can WRECK a recording by sucking the room into the picture instead of keeping it out.

"I spanked it, squashed it, and doubled it until it was dead. Then i flanged it."