1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help choosing Hard Drives.. ata133 or 8mb buffer?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by wiz1, May 29, 2002.

1. wiz1

wiz1 Guest

I just got the asus p4b533 with the built-in promise raid 133. I am going to run two hard drives for audio on the raid.

should i go for the maxtor 80 gigs which run at ata133, or the western digital 80 gig which only runs at ata100, but has the 8mb buffer?

Would the bigger buffer give me more performance? or the true ata133 speed of the maxtor?

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

WD drive...plain and simple..you will get more performance with the 8MB cache..remember that you will not see a difference between ATA100 and ATA133...the 8Mb cache WILL provide you with better results in the long run..
    Please let us know how that board fares for you!
    Opus

3. wiz1

wiz1 Guest

cool Opus, wd it is. Coming from you, i know i can't go wrong.

One more ?. at what point do you do the xp optimization, right after os install or do you install all software first? (cubase, halion sound card)

4. Opus2000

It clearly states in my tweak guide when to do this...you do the tweaks after OS is installed!!
    Opus

5. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

Congrats! :D
    Did you get the 845G chipset on that board? The 845G has the ICH4 memory controller hub (MCH) which is superior to the other Intel 533 offerings!

6. Opus2000

Altho the Asus has the 845E here's from the Asus site...
    IntelĀ® i845E and ICH4 chipset

So indeed he does...does that make our ANUS hurt or what?!!!!!!!!! lmao!
    Opus :D