1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help for the ignorant.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by cmr302, May 9, 2006.

1. cmr302

cmr302 Guest

My curent rig is a paltry Firebox to Sonar setup. I want to replace the Firebox and move to another firewire/converter. Is my best choice a Fireface or the MOTU HD, or something else? I know Apogee has the Ensemble but I think it's only for MAC. Any suggestions?

CMR

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Why not take a real step up and purchased the Alesis HD24 or even the XR high-resolution version? That coupled with their FireWire adapter that allows you to dump the hard drive from the recorder into your computer? That along with your Sonar Would make for a very versatile system appropriate for in the studio or on location easily. I mean 24 analog inputs with 24 analog outputs with a dual hard drive bay system and connectivity to your computer for under $2000! I think if I had to do it all over again I would do that? Although I do like my MOTU 2408, I really only bought that to dump my TASCAM DA88 tracks into my computer which required me to install a PCI card into a desktop computer. The 24 tracks worth of recorders along with the interface only cost me a paltry $15, 000, 13 years ago. A lot less than my $36,000 Ampex MM 1200 24 track analog machine in 1990.

I haven't seen 24 inputs on any FireWire device yet? 12 -16 -18 but not 24! I mean 24 is not a magic number it's just a good number. And actually in the days of analog, 16 on 2 inch, sounded better than 24 on 2 inch, so.... I would go with the MOTU FireWire stuff any day.

It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. cmr302

cmr302 Guest

Interesting. I guess I was only thinking about the hdd in the pc for storage.