1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help! I can't make up my mind!

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by CSOgilvie, Dec 16, 2004.

1. CSOgilvie

CSOgilvie Guest

Hello fellow recording folks,

I own/operate/sweep-up afterwards a small remote recording operation way up here in the wilds of Toronto, ON, Canada. Anyhoo, I record exclusively acoustic events for whom ever. I've been running a 2-track business to the tune of 400 concerts recorded in the past 7 years, so I must be doing something right.

I need some omni's help me expand, and have been looking at a few different mics... I'd love to own a pair of Sonnodores, but as the nature of my work is live, with audiences mulling around and kicking my mic-stands, the thought of hanging that much money up in the air (and the remote box underneath) doesn't sit too well with me. Plus, I don't have that kind of coin anyway!

Anybody have any thoughts on this matter? I was thinking about a pair of Earthworks QTC1's. But I'm sure your opinions will help me either cement that idea or toss it in the trash.

2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    The Earthworks QTC 1 is now called the QTC 40. EW just re-tooled most of the names on thier mic line.

The Qtc40 is an awesome mic, period.
    I use these on many sources, acoustic gtr, piano, strings, choir groups, you name it.

As long as the room has suitable acoustics and the preamps are clean, you'll have a hard time getting a bad sound out of them.

I usually pair these mics up with either the Earthworks "Zero Distorion" mic pres or a Millennia HV-3D.

Hope this helps,