1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help Me ID The Instrument(s)

Discussion in 'Recording' started by gumplunger, Nov 17, 2005.

1. gumplunger

gumplunger Active Member

So I heard this cool ambient-esque intro to a song, and I can't quite figure out what it is making these wonderful noises. First impression says keyboards, but if you listen closely, you can make out sliding, as though on a fretboard, so I'm thinking ebow on a guitar. However, I've never used an ebow myself, so I couldn't say for sure. Just for curiosity's sake, I'd like to know what it actually is.

Have a listen: click here

2. Vaylence

Vaylence Guest

sounds like keys and a guitar, but whatever the crap it was, it was cool.

3. hxckid88

hxckid88 Active Member

Haha sweet taste in Darkest Hour.

That song is absolutely amazing, in every way, and I have no idea how they did that....

4. Eriksmusicproduction

Eriksmusicproduction Active Member

Is that the name of the band, Darkest Hour? And the name of the song sweet taste?

5. Eriksmusicproduction

Eriksmusicproduction Active Member

Sounds like olot of layers of guitar. Definately some ebow and other fretting, feedback, harmics etc.

6. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

It's definitely an ebow. If you've ever had one and played with it you recognize the sound instantly.

Sounds like they could also be using Sustainiac pickups with it too though.

7. hxckid88

hxckid88 Active Member

The song happens to be With a Thousand Words to Say but One. Their new single off their new album...

I wish I knew what an ebow was, cause I feel retarded like I should know this or something.

8. Shinyville

Shinyville Guest

Here you go: http://www.ebow.com

9. gumplunger

gumplunger Active Member

Thanks for the help guys. I've been meaning to play around with the ambient sustaining guitar sounds and stuff, so I might go pick up an ebow and see what I can come up with.

Oh yeah, and the song is awesome, so if you haven't heard it, do so immediatly :) Darkest Hour - With A Thousand Words To Say But One

10. could be the fernades sustainer system, check out a guy called ned evet for really cool guiatr stuff he did a clinic at my wokr on wens and thurs really cool stuff

11. hxckid88

hxckid88 Active Member

OH! My guitarist in my band has one of those, he doesn't use it in any of our songs but I've seen him use it before when we're jamming haha.