1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help me pick out a pair of headphones

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by mcmilliron, Mar 20, 2005.

1. mcmilliron

mcmilliron Guest

I don't want to spend more than $50.00

I was considering the AKG k66s but got turned off by some bad reviews. People were complaining about rubbing noises, sore heads and broken straps.

I'm not looking for cans with increased bass response.

I am looking for comfortable/natural sounding cans.

thanks,
    Mark

2. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

What are you going to use them for? Are Open cans OK, or do you need Closed?

3. mcmilliron

mcmilliron Guest

I'd be using them mostly for reference. they can be open as well.

thanks,

4. mcmilliron

mcmilliron Guest

I know someone has a good pair of cans they could recommend.

5. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

Good headphones for $50 - that's a stretch. I don't have any. My good cans were $100.

6. mcmilliron

mcmilliron Guest

ok... I'll change my budget to $100.00

now what can I get?

thanks again,

7. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

The best sounding cans I own are Grado SR80s. I also own two pair of AKG 240 Studio cans. The Grados are very detailed and sound better - the AKGs are better for judging the sound quality. The Grado's make almost anything sound good.

8. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

seinheisers 280- a hundred bucs and worth eevry penny

9. sproll

sproll Active Member

Damnit you beat me to it!! :lol:

I second the HD280s

10. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

its about time I beat you to it, sproll

11. mcmilliron

mcmilliron Guest

thanks a lot guys :cool:

12. mcmilliron

mcmilliron Guest

AKG K240's VS. Seinheisers HD280's which sound better and why?

thanks again,
    Mark

13. sproll

sproll Active Member

Hmm, that's a tough one.

If you look at the specs, the Sennheisers have a larger frequency response, although that probably does not tell you they are better in all cases.

Myself, I really do like my HD280s. They are tight, extremely comfortable, and plus they are great for micing loud sources with the amount of outside noise they block out. They would probably do well as a dual purpose headphone. However, I can't really say much about the k240s, I've never tried em. We have a set of K270's (older version of the K271's) and they sound pretty neutral, but I still find the Sennheisers are more comfortable and definately block out more sound.

Tom

14. doubleJ

doubleJ Active Member

What about the Audio Technica m40fs? I've used a couple of them and I've always been told they are top-notch. I've not used the others so I can't compare. The AT's are a little less than the others mentioned.
    JJ

15. sproll

sproll Active Member

Can't comment on the AT's. The only set of AT's I've used are the ATHM20's, and they are cheapies. They weren't bad, but not in the same league as the Sennheisers or the AKG's.

16. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Active Member

17. I own the Audio Technica m40fs and they are VERY flat. good response, but they are in no way "scooped out". they are loud, and worked well with the last recording I did, I am very happy with them

18. AmoAudio

AmoAudio Guest

I have a couple pairs of Fostex T20RP's and I like them a lot.