1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help me Upgrade my Studio

Discussion in 'Recording' started by fleamail, Aug 3, 2007.

1. fleamail

fleamail Guest

Greetings from Greece!

I am posting for the first time on this forum although I am a frequent reader for a long time now! I currently have in my Studio a Tascam Firewire 1884 audio interface connected to a PC running Cubase SX 3. I also have a Focusrite Voice Master which I use mainly on recording vocals bypassing the tascam pre's!

The think is that I never use the fw1884 as a controler because I've learned to control the cubase via the keyboard before i purchase the tascam and its hard to change habbits now! So I was thinking of selling it and upgrade to something better. My basic needs are 1 to 2 tracks for recording instruments and vocals and I also need 6 to 8 tracks for tracking drums. I've read good reviews about the RME firefaces and I am thinking of buying one.

My first thought is to buy an RME fireface 800 and an 8 chan preamp without digital output like the focusrite octopre le. This overcomes my budget a bit.

Also I was thinking to buy an RME fireface 400 and an 8chan preamp with digital output like the Mackie Onyx 800R thus I can bypass the onboard preamps(and use them only when needed) and use the Onyx and the Voicemaster. This will save me some money in order to put aside for a future purchase of a good one or two channel preamp.

Any other recommendations? My budget is 1500 euros ($2000)

Thanks in advance!