1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help needed with computer and interfacing mixer

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sportsfreak278, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Hey

Im new to the recording scene, and am hoping to get a setup soon. Ill focus mostly on electric and acoustic, with a little vocals thrown in. Im thinking about getting a SM57 and a Behringer 6-channel mixer. Ill use either Cubase or Audacity or some comparable program. My questions are:

1. If I buy the mixer, do i need to also buy a USB interface to connect it to my computer?

2. Do I even need a mixer or can I just use the recording program?

Thanks for helping out.

2. gettingnewer

gettingnewer Guest

whats up brother

i record at a small studio in alabama, and i recently built my own home digital multitrack rig...well, i'm still building it...?

1. there are a few different ways to tackle the analog/digital conversion issue. there are a few mixers that have direct firewire or USB ports. i think alesis makes some, and i know mackie has some very expensive ones. i'm sure more have been made recently. look on musicians friend for mixers. and i think they typically are shipped with some type of compatible mutitracking software. i personally use SONAR 6 (an educational copy from my teacher buddy), which

or, you could get an analog/digital interface, such as my favorite and my recommendation, an m-audio delta 1010. it's got a bunch of 1/4" inputs that are converted into a digital signal and connect to the computer via PCI just like a printer or sound card, as well as outputs to similar effect.

2. i'd get a mixer. most any one of them will have some type of EQ, and even some cheap effects help beat the sound of a deader, dryer signal (typically).

i use a mackie 1604 vlz-pro, and run direct out from the first 8 channels into the 1010 and computer, and use the last 8 tracks for 'tape' returns. sometimes i bus the tracks down in the software to a single stereo monitor channel, which runs out to 2 tracks on the 1604.

sorry if that's confusing, i'm brand new to this forum.

what kind of music do you make?