1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help On Starting Out

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Tonydelero, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Tonydelero

Tonydelero Guest

Hi I am Just Starting Out In Music Production and I am looking for some help on setting up my midi equipment. I have an evolution 249c midi keyB and an opcode 64x midi interface. I am wanting to know how to conect them to my pc. I have an audigy sound card with a game port.

Do i connect my sound card to my midi interface using the game port and then the keyb to the interface....?

I do not have any midi cables as yet as i am unsure as which ones to get. The game port is a 15 pin but the interface has 9 pins.

If anyone could point me in the right direction i would be very greatfull.

Tony.

2. kevinwhitect

kevinwhitect Active Member

Tony, I'm not certain you can connect midi to a game port. I'm not even sure there is an adapter you can use.

You'll need a midi in port on your sound card to get what you need done.

Best-

Kev.

3. Tonydelero

Tonydelero Guest

Thanks for that Kev.

Do you recommend any Good sound cards with a midi in port on.....

Tony.

4. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Tony, Your game port is also a MIDI port. All SB's use this combo port You just need the proper adapter from SB. You can get it here.

http://us.creative.com/shop/shopcategory.asp?category=1

Choose Sound Blaster Accessories, and then scroll down to Sound Blaster Midi Adapter P/N 1013251001 $19.99

5. Tonydelero

Tonydelero Guest

Big D your a Star..........

Thanking you

Tony.

6. kevinwhitect

kevinwhitect Active Member

Evidently I was 100% wrong. You can use the game port and there is an adapter you can use.

:)

I haven't used an SB equivalent since my second computer. Thanks for straightening things out Big D.

Kev.

7. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

No problem guys, glad to help

8. Tonydelero

Tonydelero Guest

Hello Again people.

I have just bought myself the midi lead that was kindly suggested by big D for my sound card, and I was just woundering if anyone knows anything more about midi interfaces that could help me....?

I have a Opcode studio 64x 64-Channel Midi Interface/Patchbay and am a bit confused about how to connect my equipment to it. On the back of the interface are 2x 5 pin connections one called pc thru and one pc computer. there are also 6x midi outputs and 4 midi inputs.

I am wanting to connect the midi interface to my pc sound card and my evolution keyb to the interface.
    What is the correct setup i should use...?

I am using cubase sx and reason 2.5, and i am looking into getting myself a roland MC-307 GROOVE BOX and Roland EF-303 DJ GROOVE EFFECTS. and may be some other midi stuff.

Sorry if this is a really dum question but i am a beginner....

Tony

9. Tonydelero

Tonydelero Guest

ok, i take it that was a silly question then.....

what i mean is....is this set up right...

Computers com port goes to midi interface
    then new midi lead goes from soundcard midi/joystick too, 1 midi input and 1 too, midi outputs slot on interface..

then midi keyboard which only has one midiout, goes to midi input on interface...?????? do i use the midi keyboards usb as well...????

also i have something called SMPTE on the back of the interface. one in and one out, what does this do.??

thanks
    Tony