1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

help please: affordable recording newbie!!!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by LatinRock, Aug 5, 2004.

1. LatinRock

LatinRock Guest

So I want to start recording some of my ideas, but I'm a little bit in the blue, and just doing some research, and I'm not fully knowledgeable of all important pro's and con's... I need help and advice on what a good purchase would be.

--my recording purpose: for myself, voice, and guitar, and ability to lay down a bass track and program a drum loop (i'm not too concerned with recording my whole band)

--my budget: hopefully not too much over $300, but $400 max

--my cpu specs: laptop, win xp pro, Pentium III @ 900Mhz, 256MB ram, no firewire

--dilemmas: good USB interface or console unit? which usb or which console?

>>> these are some of the units I've researched a little... if you have any other suggestions or strong opinions on these, please let me know

> console unit: Boss br-864 8 track unit (a little pricey for me, but ebay might help)... also a little worried editing on a console unit may be unfriendly without a nice monitor and mouse

> usb: M-Audio MobilePre (2 XLR, 2 line)

> usb: Tascam US 122 (2 XLR, 2 line, midi)

> usb: digidesign mbox (out of my league... to expensive and demands too much of cpu)

> software: Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 (supposed to work nicely with the usb units)

that's all I've researched. Is USB such a bad idea, is it worth it to get a firewire port? but please send your suggestions and opinions, I'm totally new at recording and want to get a quality unit, but good value.

thanks so much,
    ~Nicholás

2. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

Hi Latin

I usually post this link when someone is fresh like this

it will help in some of your questions,

then you can do a key word search on RO to see how many others have discussed a paticualar choice you may want,,

http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm

hope it helps

SI

3. gambit

gambit Active Member

Great link SI - really informative and good range of information. I shall have to keep that and use it again!

G.

4. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

Most welcome gambit,,,

it does help let you see all types of setups ,,,, which worked for me when i needed to know ,, er and still do at times :))

Sanity Inn