1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help please for an old codger

Discussion in 'Recording' started by gerryrigley, Apr 16, 2013.

1. gerryrigley

gerryrigley Active Member

Hi all,
    Many years ago before retiring I was a professional photographer and part time DJ on a local radio station in Bath.

Then I had loads of gear, but managed to do all my mixing and editing on 'SOUND FORGE 5' which I found amazing and simple to use.

A couple of local hypnotherapist guys would ask me to produce their subliminal tapes for them individually made for each of their clients.

This I would be able to do on Sound Forge 5 with no problem.

I have just been contacted again by one of the guys to produce a few more, but it is now 15 years since I last did this and have forgotten how to compress the files down to a blip so that they become subliminal and are hidden behind a piano music track.

I am still using Sound Forge 5 as I have had no need to upgrade.

Can anyone just give me a gentle reminder on how to compress the files, I'm sure that as soon as I start reading any replies it will all come flying back.

Thank you for your time in reading this and hopefully someone a lot cleverer than me will help me out.
    Gerry, in S,Italy....

2. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Not really sure what you mean by compress?

There is a technique called ducking where you use a compressor sidechain to control volume relative to another signal.

Or is there some sort of encoding you're looking for?

3. gerryrigley

gerryrigley Active Member

======================================================================================================================================================

Hi
    Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps I used the word COMPRESS because I mean that I used to pick the small sound bites - files and just make them smaller. For example, if the original word or small sentence was, say, an INCH long, I would reduce it so that it was about one eight of an inch so that if you heard it on its own it would just be a small BLIP sound, almost like a sound fault.

This would then be dropped into a piano recital background in a repeating loop to reinforce the therapists message.

Subliminal messaging.

I was pretty sure that somewhere I had a few reject copies and have looked, and cannot find them. Having moved, not just house, but countries I'm still not sure what I might have lost.

And that is all I need to do. Pick a small word or sentence, reduce in size and volume, select and drop into a background music track. I'm pretty sure that is how I used to do it.

Thanks for your interest, really appreciated.
    Gerry, ......... Southern Italy

4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

The only way I could think of to do this in SF would be through the Time Stretch command.

As an example, this is what you hear at the end of car dealer's advertisements - where they read a legal disclaimer and then speed up the file so that it's barely legible. In theory, I suppose you could manipulate a 10 second audio soundbite to play in 5 seconds, preserving the pitch but changing the duration, but I don't know that you could reduce it to a "blip". It's not something I've ever tried.

If it would work, your command would be Process/Time Stretch.