1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

HELP! Sampling problem!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by AscensionStudios, Jul 24, 2009.

1. AscensionStudios

AscensionStudios Active Member

Ok so I recorded a whole session on PT 8 at 48 khz as opposed to 44.1. I have tried creating a new session and importing tracks to no success. When I recorded the clock source was my Digimax FS, so Pro Tools thinks it is a 44.1 session when it's actually a 48 khz session. Sucks that the sample rate button is right next to the power button, must have pushed it when I was turning the Pre-Amp on or off... Any suggestions?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Edit the header of the file. Codemonkey was doing something like this several weeks ago.

3. TheJackAttack

A thought occurred to me while I was cursing gateways and access points today. Do you have massive digital artifacts on your recording? You should if the sampling rates were truly mismatched. If that is the case then nothing you can do is going to fix it. On the other hand. Maybe PT automatically recorded it at 44.1 when you switched the interface asio driver.

4. AscensionStudios

No it sounds really clear. Probably one of the best sounds that I have produced. It sounds fine in Pro Tools but if I put it on iTunes or something it's just slowed down. There's gotta be a way to fix it. :(

5. AscensionStudios

Is there not a program for Mac out there? To where I could bounce the session and then just covert the sample rate?

6. TheJackAttack

Check this thread for some tools/info to change the header of the audio file.

{old-link-removed}

7. AscensionStudios

Im seeing cross-eyed after reading that thread... Are those programs they are talking about more for corrupted files?

8. TheJackAttack

Essentially you have a corrupted file. The other option is to bounce it to a CD and reimport.

9. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Are you using the same audio driver you use in PT to listen to your samples in iTunes?
    maybe you need to switch your audio driver from 48 back to 44.1

10. AscensionStudios

The audio driver in PT is running off of the DIGI 003 console and iTunes is just running off of the factory Mac driver I believe.

11. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

it starts and ends with that external clock
    " Sucks that the sample rate button is right next to the power button, "

so the track can only sound right when the
    " Pro Tools thinks it is a 44.1 session when it's actually a 48 khz session. "

the Digimax FS is providing the clock at 48 while the PT session is listed at 44.1

yes it will sound fine while the situation above remains in tact
    but if you try to put it to Itunes or an AudioCD or another system without the clock source error ...etc
    you will have the problem

as was said above
    HACK the header

OR
    while the system is in the above mode
    do an ANALOG bounce to a system with the correct settings

12. AscensionStudios

Awesome! Thanks guys, I will let you know how it goes. I am going to try to edit the header and if I can't figure that out then I will do an analog bounce. Thanks!

13. AscensionStudios

Ok so I have tried to edit the header. I"m in waaaaaaaaaaay over my head. Anyone wanna take a look at the files? I can send a bad one and a good one...

14. AscensionStudios

15. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

I could take a look at it...

I see you're on mac so you'll have to find your own hex editor, if you copy/paste the first 10 lines or so of what will appear to be gibberish, I can hopefully look and see what needs changed.

16. AscensionStudios

Well I moved the file to my PC. I have HexEdit and XVI32. You say the first 10 lines... When I'm looking at the wav there is 2 columns of code. Left & right. Which do you want? Or both?

17. Codemonkey

I used XVI32... worked well enough.

The 2 columns of code are the same contents, I found it easier to work with the hex display though (the left side).

Edit: ARGH, the site with the header details that I worked from last time, appears to be down. I didn't copy any details either, nuts.
    Hopefully I can find it again.

Edit 2: found the list I need.
    Also I found this program you might want to try, but you can still copy the header here, or PM it or something.
    WAV Header Investigator

18. AscensionStudios

This is a link to a screenshot of the screwed up file.. (couldn't copy and paste..)
    http://img338.imageshack.us/i/screenshot1amt.png/
    This is a link to a good file...
    http://img44.imageshack.us/i/screenshot2afs.png/
    I really appreciate your help, I've been trying to fix this for weeks. :(

19. AscensionStudios

Header Inverstigator did the trick!!! I looked for days for a program to just edit the header and not the audio because I figured it would be waaaaaaay easier! Just switched the sample rate to 48000. Where the heck did you find that? I searched every possible keyword.. Well I guess not but yeah, THANKS A TON! Life saver.

20. Codemonkey

One of the results on Yahoo for "WAV file header" had a link to it.

I google things about as often as I steal tractors.