1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help setting up new computer for Daw & Business use

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ManFromTheBand, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Hi guys - I'm getting a new laptop to run my recording rig and the problem is, although not ideal, i'm going to need it to be an "everything else" laptop as well as a "recording" laptop. It will be running Windows XP Media Center Edition, 2GB Ram, 800Mhz FSB, P4 3.2 Ghz, etc. Now...I will have it set-up with two hardware profiles (one with minimal hardware drivers installed for audio work, and one wtih everything running for "everything else") and I will also have two user accounts for the same purpose. Problem is, changes in msconfig are global - and not restricted to one account or another. Is there a way to have different software startup sequences for different usernames? I don't need norton running when i'm recording and not hooked up to the internet...but i DO want it running when i'm in "everything else" mode. Any help would be HUGE!

Thanks!

Josh

2. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Not really, You could just disable NAV when your recording. The only other option I see for you is to keep it out of the system tray and just start it when your doing other work. I'll see if I can find a workaround for you as I'm not familiar with Media Center.

3. So far - from what I've found...my best option is going to be to set up a dual-boot system with MCE as one boot-option and XP Home as the other. I could partition off the 60GB hard disk that comes with the computer into two 30 GB sections, and then get an external 7200 RPM drive for recording. I just need to learn more about dual-booting now - but that seems to be the way to go for this particular situation...any thoughts?

4. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

I think dual booting is your best option at this point also. It's not difficult at all. I've done NT/98 and XP/Linux so it should be similar. With Linux your best to install XP first but it shouldn't matter with two Microsoft products but I would suggest Media Center first. If nothing is installed yet you can choose to create 2 partitions when installing the first OS. If one of the OS's is already installed, when you install the other you should be able to create another partition then. If Media Center is already on the drive XP should ask if you want to dual boot. If it doesn't let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Hope that helped

5. Definitely helped - that's exactly what I'm going to be doing. Now I just have to sell my PA system so I can afford to buy everything I need...if anybody's interested in a Sweet PA for a great price - check out the post in the For Sale forum (Dead Link Removed)