1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help the clarity

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by sonic1, Mar 30, 2005.

1. sonic1

sonic1 Guest

Hi, I'm a newb to posting but have enjoyed what I have learned from reading. I hope you can help me. I have a small recording studio and we handle tons of cable t.v v/o's from tele-commuting voice talent. We've recently added one who has an odd quality to the sound of her audio, and I thought if I posted her chain here, you could give me some suggestions for her. First, what I'm receiving is a slightly distorted-sounding, flat vocal quality.

From her description: I'm using an AT814 directly into the microphone jack, with SoundForge Normalization at RMS -10db, slider set at 31.62%, attack and release both at 200.

I'm not an engineer, but I know the sound I hear could be vastly improved. I guess there's no mic preamp and no audio board. It sounds like she's going right into the computer(?).

Thanks for your input!
  2. Tunes57

Tunes57 Guest

I'm not an engineer either, and I don't record directly into my computer, but I'll tell you what kind of setup I have and maybe it might help. I recently bought an Audio Technica AT3035 condenser mic, which for me, is quite an upgrade from what I've been using, which is a couple of cheap Radio Shack condensers. I was using, (still do) an old Peavey six channel PA mixing board for my preamp.
    I have been using that, along with the Radio Shack mics for several years. Since I bought the new AT3035, I also decided to buy a small Behringer Eurorack UB802 for a new preamp, because my Peavey board doesn't have phantom power. I also bought a DBX 266XL compressor/gate. I do not record using my computer. I use a Fostex VF160, then when I'm done mixing down my song, I transfer it to my computer where I can make CDs if I want.
    I've found that it's not neccesary to be too close to the AT3035 to get a decent sound. Also, your friend should not allow her vocal recording to clip, as I've found that might cause distortion to her vocal track. A good compressor will help with this problem.
    I know the equipment I said I have is quite different from your friend's, but I hope I've helped you in some way.