1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help with Drum Machine/Sequencer/??? Options for Drum Practice

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Jim Hodgson, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Jim Hodgson

Jim Hodgson Member

Dec 19, 2011
    New York City
    Hi folks ... brand new here and just looking for a little product insight/advice. I'm really starting at the beginning with all of this, so please bear with me(!)

I'm looking for a freestanding device -- a drum machine or sequencer or ??? -- that I can use to program some percussion sounds and a bass line. I'd like to use these tracks to practice my drums along with. (After 30 years of playing along with a metronome, I'm ready to branch out a little ... LOL!) Ease of use is the primary requirement ... would be great if the bass lines were sort of pre-programmed, if you will(?) In other words, I'm not a bass player or a composer, so I'd like it to know what it's doing right out of the box. Programming the percussion tracks will probably be less of a challenge for me...

Any suggestions? I've seen the Boss DR-880 "Dr. Rhythm" and the Akai MPC500 in the $400s/$500s. That price point would be OK, if necessary, and those two look reasonable (I think?) for what I want to do. But, they may be overkill. (I don't mind if they have extra features, BTW, so long as they don't overly-complicate matters. I'll probably grow into them.) I've also seen the Kaossilator -- looks super-easy to use, but too electronica-oriented, I think. Anyway ... just to give you an idea of where I've been looking. Who knows? I could be waaay off with those. Please set me straight???