1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help With Microphones/Processing

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by gregoryjames, Jun 11, 2002.

1. gregoryjames

gregoryjames Guest

Hello fellow recording enthusiasts and professionals. It's an honor to be posting among all of you.

Right out of the gates let me introduce myself. I'm a 21 year old broadcaster, currently residing in New York. For more info check out

http://www.frogmanradio.com

Enough with the shamless plug on with my question:

I've been put in charge of single handedly upgrading our current radio station "sound" if you will. I recently ordered and installed a Valley 401 Mic Processor, and we have a VERY old Sennheiser MD421 Microphone. My question is, which microphone should I upgrade too?

I was thrown a BSW catalog and told to find a decent mic for low $$. I'd like to get the ElectroVoice RE20, but they say it's too much. I own a Behringer B-1 (great sound for such a cheap mic) for my home studio and I hooked it up and it sounds phenomenal with the Valley 401...should I order a B-1? Or go with something else?

What would you guys recommend?

I appreciate any help and thank you.

2. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Well, first, let me say it's too bad that an RE-20 is too much. That and a Shure SM7 (both, btw designed for radio anoucing...the SM7 is particularly effective, allowing you to get right up on it with out a pop filter, because of the way it's designed) are the main mic's in radio (caveat: I don't work in radio...but Im pretty sure on this)

Secondly, if the mic you mentioned (Behringer B-1) sounds good "on air"...then that should be the ticket. Do a mic test; set up your MD421 (great mic) , your Behringer B-1, and any other's in contention that you can get your hands on (most music stores have a 30day no question return policy on a credit card) and
    "broadcast" and record the result.

hope this helps

3. gregoryjames

gregoryjames Guest

Thanks for the advice!

I've just spent the last hour and a half playing with both of them.

The MDK421 has a nicer bass roll off and has a great "pop" elimination. The B-1 however sounds a helluva lot more "crisp" though. It's got a better frequency range, and really provides a smooth sound when combined with the Valley 401.

I'm going to do my show with the B-1 today, and I have my PD listening to see if he can hear a difference.

This stuff takes time, and you have to try it in different situations too. I love playing around!! :D

4. teddancin

teddancin Guest

Hey, Recorderman. I just wanted to add that I think you're right about the 57's, because when I was doing college radio, the studio was lined with them for all mic's except for the main mic.

5. Mike Simmons

Mike Simmons Active Member

Home Page:
    The 421 is a nice mic and coupled with a Stedman pop filter is very usable. If you want to save a few bucks on an RE-20 look at PL-20's. They are very similar (if not the same) electronically and sonically.