1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help with new DAW

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Geero, May 19, 2005.

1. Geero

Geero Guest

I am farly new to the recording world and am building a new pc. I just wanted to know if this setup would work well. I am going to be running Sonar 4 with some plugins and a large track count cuz i will be doing multitrack recording with my band. I will also most likely be using a presonus firepod for an audio interface. Here is what i was looking at getting:

Antec Sonata piano black 380W

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer/Hammer 1GHz FSB

(x2) CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR

(x2) SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series 120GB SATA

ATI RADEON 9250 128MB

One question i have is what is a good cd burner to go with that is fast a fairly quiet. And would it be of any advantage to get a cpu with a different core such as on the venice or whinchester cores. I really dont know much about them. .Because of a tight budget and noice not being a HUGE issue is there another case that i could could get that would still be relatively quiet and not as pricey as the antec is ($100-120). And if i go with the antec or other should i get any extra cooling. These are my only real concerns before i get the parts so any suggestions would be great!

2. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    dump the samsung drives.
    WD, Maxtor or Seagate.

the newer AMD cores run cooler use less watts and voltage.
    also they OC better.
    i like the samsung CD-RWs
    or Pioneer DVD-RW

3. Geero

Geero Guest

Thanks for the advice Scott. I was going to go with the samsung drive because i had heard they were quiet, but i think that ill take your advice and pick up one that you suggested.

4. I agree with Scott about the hard drives (and he is an audio computer builder, so his opinion definitely counts).

I picked up a fairly cheap case ($30, I think) at a local computer store and have been fairly successful in getting my computer quiet by using Zalman fans to cool the processor and by buying a quiet power supply.

I do a lot of research before purchasing computer components. I usually read the reviews of parts on newegg.com. I also read anandtech.com.

You might also be able to improve things slightly by finding some lower latency RAM (look for CAS latency of 2.5 or 2.0). I haven't had much trouble with CAS latency 3 RAM, but I'm sure my computer would be faster with lower latency RAM.
  5. Geero

Geero Guest

Thanks for the advice. Are the Plextor SATA DVD burners a good choice? Also is the 2.5 or 2 cas latency really going to make a huge difference from the the cas 3 ram i was going to go with?