1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help with Presonus Blue Tube DP

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by GrandfatherFlump, Apr 7, 2005.

1. I read the manual but it really isnt that good lol Its for people who are familiar with preamps, I am not.

Someone plz break this down for me and how to use this thing. I have a rode NT1 Condensor MIc.

2. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

Enable the phantom power!

3. lol yes i know that, the 48v button

and?

i said a breakdown! lol not 4 words!

hook ups and all that $*^t.

4. therecordingart

I'm not clear on what you want to know....how to hook it up to your computer? How a preamp works?

Here is what I can come up with for you off of the top of my head since I'm not sure what you are asking..........

-You need an XLR Female to Male cable to plug the mic into the preamp
    -48v phantom power must be on to power the mic
    -If you are planning on plugging the preamp into your "standard" computer soundcard you'll need a either a female XLR to 1/8 inch or a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch cable...your choice. Plug that into the line in on your soundcard

If it's already hooked up....disregard what I just typed. Here are easy to understand terms on what all of the knobs and buttons do/mean from left to right on the unit:

-48v phantom power provides the power to mics like condensers which need it to operate.
    -the zero with a line through it is a phase reverse. Since you wont be using two mics on the same source for now...I won't go into it...just make sure this light is off.
    -PAD is like a volume adjustment, but in button form. This button activated will drop the signal -20db. This is useful when recording loud sources like snare drums and stuff, but won't be needed on vocals
    -the 80hz button is a high pass filter. What it does is cuts out any frequency below 80hz. 80hz is like the hit or kick in a bass drum. It gets the subwoofers pumping and on some things like electric guitar...you don't want 80hz or below!!!!
    -think of the Gain knob as a volume knob for the mic which will increase it's sensitivity to your volume.
    -the tube drive knob can be bypassed...in which case you'll have a clean solid state sound....the more you crank it...the more the tube will saturate the sound and make it "warmer" but potentially noiser depending on the unit.

I hope I've answered some questions! Let me know if you'd like me to elaborate on anything.

5. Ok well now there's a new problem lol I know everythings working and my voice is being picked up and all but in Cool Edit Pro...its not picking up and recording my voice! I installed a new soundcard and maybe I have to make sure CE is using that one and I think it is but im just lost lol

damn it.

6. therecordingart

I've used Cool Edit, but can't remember all of the menus off of the top of my head. What I would do is go into the HELP section and read up on how to record a track. You have to select your soundcards input on the track that you want to record to. Also, in the audio preferences you have to make sure that your soundcards ins and outs are set to the default.

7. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

Have moved all the stuff relating to fixing another unit to DIY but the mod there or a super mod will need to clean it properly.