1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help with recording metal guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Maligna, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Maligna

Maligna Guest

Hey guys!

great forum!!

This is my recording chain:

Gibson Explorer (stock pups) ----> Behringer Virtualizer Pro (for comp and noise gate) ------> Boss Metal Zone ----> Motu 828 ----> Cubase

Can anyone tell me how to get the best distorted metal sound out of this chain cos whenever I record it sounds really crappy and more fuzzy than metal distortion.

thanks

A

P.S. I can't afford to buy anything at the moment so please don't suggest buying a Dual Rectifier and sticking an SM57 in front of it!! Hehe cheers

2. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

Oh, well, if you can't afford an amp... I really don't know how to help. Cus what you said in your PS is exactly what my best buddy does, and his electric guitar comes in pretty damn good!

3. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/4295/software/Boogex/

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/536/software/Dominion/

link removed

Sorry bout the long links. Look for a free amp emulator plugin.

4. hafsteinn

hafsteinn Guest

you could try making a aux input channel from the virtualizer and sending it to the guitar track. And also get a decent DI guitar fx, like pod xt or pod xt pro. Also making a gate channel from the kick drum for the bass (or pitch shifted guitar) to get a tigth sound.

5. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dial back the distortion setting in the metalzone pedal....and dont use as much compression. This will clean things up a bit. An emulator will help also.

6. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

IMHO throw out the compressor altogether. It's a crappy one and compressing an already heavily compressed sound is just kind of overkill. Like dave said, dial down your distortion knob. I record a kid who'll only use a metalzone and I'm ok with it as long as he lets me adjust it and I usually pull his distortion knob from 3/4's up to 1/4. However this is while going thru a tube amp with a 57 on a speaker. Also, if you aren't doing it, double track your parts and pan them to taste. You can certainly get a decent sound direct in but seriously, save your pennies and invest in a decent tube amp, even the cheap ones sound worlds better than a metalzone plugged straight in.