1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help with studio upgrade.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jeronimo, Jun 20, 2002.

1. jeronimo

jeronimo Guest

Hello guys,
    Yesterday I was kinda crazy thinking about some upgrades on my studio.
    First let me explain the whole situation:
    I live in Brazil where gear is very, very expensive. I have a friend that is moving back from the U.S.
    in september and he has the right to bring used stuff as he lived for more than a year outside Brazil.
    Right now I have:

- Tascam 2524 24ch in line
    - Digi 001
    - Meek VC6
    - Korg 880 A/D 18bit
    - ART SGX Nightbass Studio Edition

And I will for sure get an Apogee Rosetta so I can clock both the 001 and the 880 with it.
    Ok, now the deal is I track mostly rock bands like this:

- drums (8/10 ch on the 2524. 8ch going on the 001 and 2 ch on the korg)
    - bass (DI on the VC 6 into korg)
    - guitar (POD into korg) ** this could be a keeper, it depends on the playing
    - guitar (whatever the player brings in and goes into the korg) ** if the band has 2 guits and each one
    plays totally different stuff from the other. that´s just a scratch track.
    - vox (into the 2524 out to the korg) ** scratch vocals only
    - click track (Yamaha PSR 160 into korg)
    - one channel free on the korg...

I want to upgrade to a level where I don´t need to worry about buying stuff anytime soon, because I won´t
    buy anything here in Brazil...

So I´m thinking about getting rid of my big´ol board ang going for something better and smaller, or even
    going with outboard pre´s only.

I can also borrow some money too, just to make sure I won´t spend anymore soon :) .

I can get around $1300/$1500 for my board here in Brazil and $800/$1000 for the Korg interface.

So what do you guys suggest for pres? How many channels you think I need? For example, 4 channels to
    snare, kick and overheads and 4/6 more (cheaper ones) to toms and scratch vox. About the A/D I thought
    about those:

Swissonic AD24 8ch A/D $750
    RME Audio ADI-8 Pro 8ch A/D/A $1300
    Lucid 8824 8ch A/D/A $2000

C´mon guys, I know it´s a huge post, but I do need help... thanks!!!
  2. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001

I suggest that you not cross post. Ask your question in one forum only (although I may be out of line mentioning this on a forum not under my jurisdiction)
  3. jeronimo

jeronimo Guest

sorry about this recorderman, but did crosspost because in my point of view, I could have diferent opinions from people that would post here and not on the PEH Forum. It´ll not happen again.
  4. Baiano

Baiano Guest

E ai me`irmao???
    Yes Jeronimo I am from Bahia,Itabuna and I lived in Salvador from 1984 to 1989.Now I live near Lisbon,Portugal.I am a session player and a Home Studio Beginner.My setup is :
    733 G4
    1100 RAM
    Tascam US-428
    Behringer Ultragain Pro
    Røde NT 1
    Fender BXR 300R Bass amp
    Johnson J-Station
    ADA MP2
    Roland XP-50

I am thinkin about buying the Digi 001,but I`d better wait a bit,`cause Jaguar is in the near future of Apple`s OS and also I think I should wait for a device like the MBox but FIREWIRE (I have 2 Firewire slots in my Mac just sleeping here..).
    Good luck with your studio.Say hello to Ronnie Scott,Ivan Huol,Ivan Bastos,Giba,Tuzè Abreu and Geova Nascimento to name a few.
    Here`s my e-mail : o_mucio@hotmail.com