1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Help with what hardware I should use

Discussion in 'Recording' started by yzfwv, Dec 21, 2004.

1. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

I have a question about being able to record live into a PC. I need to get 3 guitar, 2 mics, and a mic'ed up drum set into my PC, or laptop. I have cubase to record on and the sales person at the local guitar center was reccomending something like a firewire 410 or 1814 to get the music from the instruments to the pc. I'd like to be able to record from 8-10 sources at a time but have a budget of about $800-$1000 to spend on hardware. I was also looking at an aardvark q-10.

What do I need to make this possible?

2. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

any suggestions? I'm about to pick up an aardvark q-10 in a week and a half and don't want to do that if there's a better alternative...

3. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

:cool: That should be a good unit but........
    :cry: Don't expect much in the way of upgrades or support from a company that went under. Unless another company bought them out that I haven't heard about? Might do some research on the company first.

4. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

Are there any other options? How's the m-audio delta 1010 compare? I saw that is didn't have the xlr inputs.

I'm picking the aardvark up next week and really am having my doubts about it right now so any help or suggestions would be great.

5. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

bump ?

6. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Don't buy the Aardvark. As Reggie has said, they have gone under, without making a public announcement I might add, and you will not want to be the owner of an unsupported product. The Delta 1010 is a nice budget card and I think you'd be happy with it.

7. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

You'll need preamps for your mics too.

I suggest getting a Mackie desk with minimum 8 preamps and the Delta. Connect the direct outs of the Mackie to the Delta and you're good to go.

The Mackie will be useful for building a live rig too (and you can still record gigs with the Delta!)

J

Try to buy both of these second-hand. Then when you need to upgrade, or if you want to, you'll get your investment back.

8. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

Thanks for the info...that's exactly what I was looking for

9. yzfwv

yzfwv Guest

I picked up a motu 868 and it's working good so far.