1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

HELP!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by rick wilson, Aug 6, 2003.

1. rick wilson

rick wilson Guest

I am STILL trying to assemble my 1st ever DAW. I have a 933Mhz G4 and probably will end up using DP4 software.
    I record guitar based pop w midi keys and drums.
    I am a long time former home writer/recorder, using 1/2" tape and syncing to midi via SMPTE.
    Now my question is exactly what hardware pieces will I need to get underway here?
    Like mic pres, sound card, converter boxes, front end stuff, etc?
    I am totally out of touch w digital stuff and will be more or less starting from scratch.
    At this point, I do not plan on recording anything but myself. Direct keys/drums, miked vocals, guitar, bass and percussion.
    I have a moderate but ample budget and really am after high quality results. (who isn't?)
    Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

2. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

What pieces do you already have?

You basically need:

- a MIDI interface (if you intend to record MIDI)

- an audio interface

- a mic pre and mic

- probably a line mixer of sorts

- speakers and a power amp if the speakers are unpowered

- cabling

Let us know what you already have and the assembled masses can chime in.

3. rick wilson

rick wilson Guest

As I said, I am well acquainted with recording in the traditional sense and had done so for many years, prior to the mass acceptance of digital- for-home/DAW studios.
    I have a decent mic selection, a cheapie/not a high quality mic pre (thinking about a Great River), a 16X8 analog console, some outboard delays & reverbs, power amps, NS10/JBL and Tannoy monitors, the aforementioned G4w 2 matching flat panel displays and lots of instruments to record.
    What I need to know is what other hardware pieces will I need? Some actual mfg/model names/numbers would be helpful as well.
    Thanks--Rw

4. Nate Tschetter

Howdy

OK. So basically, you need:

- a MIDI interface. If you use MOTU software, get MOTU hardware. If you have lots of MIDI devices, get a multiport MIDI interface like a MIDI Time Piece II (or MTP AV).

- a sound card. Again, I think if you use a brand of software, you should use the same brand of hardware (even though I don't follow my own rules). Check out the new MOTU 828 II. Its firewire which precludes the need for a PCI card. Apparantly it has some new monitoring features that make it "the bomb".

I use the Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882. Its quite good and in a similar price range.

Good choice on the GR, get that. It sounds like you have all the rest of the stuff to get to recording. If you do a lot of vocal recording, consider getting some sort of vocal "channel" (basically, a chain with a pre, EQ and dynamic control). Whether that's a single unit like a "Manley VoxBox" or "UA 6176" or several units chained together (for example, GR MP1NV -> Speck ASC EQ -> FMR RNC) is unimportant.

Hope that helps. Perhaps others will chime in.

5. rick wilson

rick wilson Guest

Thanks Nate for the answer. VERY helpful. I left the music biz (and SoCal) about 9 years ago and I left the home recording/demo-ing behind as well.
    That's how far behind times that I am... 9 years. Am anxious to get back into it though. I don't have any audio mentors in the one-horse-town that I moved to and I hate going into the local music store...makes me feel very old! So I am at the mercy of magazines and groups like this one.
    Hey my wife walked in, saw your name on your post and said she went to high school with someone w the same name as yours. Denver?
    Anyway, thanks again for the helpful info. I am sure there will be many more questions that need answering. Hopefully I will get back underway soon.
    Rw

6. Nate Tschetter

Howdy

Actually, I'm from South Dakota...lotsa Tschetters there but I was born in Denver! Now I consider myself "from" California having been here almost 20 years.

Don't worry about being "out of the loop"...there are a lot of really good gear choices out there right now. Plus we have this fine forum to share our experiences.

7. adf

adf Guest

Rick

Not sure if this helps, but here goes anyway.

I have a Mac Dual 867MHz with 768 RAM. I have set up a cableless (almost) system using Cubase SL, which accesses virtual synths which are either supplied with Cubase or purchased separately. I monitor everything through a JVC Boomblaster which gives excellent bass.

I have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard which works well. I'm a guitarist, so keyboard parts are put into Cubase manually, but for the most part, everything else works very well.

Like you, I had to do some learning before splashing out on software and hardware.

Is this any help?

8. sioux

sioux Guest

Motu stuff is great! If you're going to use DP4 I would go with their hardware. I wish I had done that. I'm using DP3 with a Digi001 interface but I have a Motu MicroExpress for MIDI. I'll be going for the audio interface Nate suggested whenever I can.

Good luck! You're about to have great fun!

Cheers,
    Sioux