1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

her we go.....best all around mic for around $600

Discussion in 'Recording' started by imagineaudio, Dec 11, 2004.

1. imagineaudio

imagineaudio Active Member

im looking at a rode NT2000.....the fully variable pattern thing kinda interested me.....

2. boheme6

boheme6 Guest

get the K2 instead.. very nice.. and can be picked up for under 600.
    "-)

3. galas

galas Guest

akg 414 - also has selectable pattern :)

4. DKeenum

DKeenum Active Member

I can't say best, but I've really liked my AT 4050. I've had it for a number of years and it always handles to large diaphram chores well.

5. imagineaudio

Ok if you could have one, which one and why?

AT4050
    TLM103
    Baby Bottle
    Dragonfly
    K2

or another.....? under 1K

6. Groff

Groff Active Member

AT for clean and transparent, Rode for a little coloured sound. I like both but prefer Rode tube. More balls. Guess TLM 103 is out of 600 $ range.

7. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

I understand the nt2000 is a K2 without the tube- it also boasts a pad, which the k2 does not have :p

8. imagineaudio

mantiger......what is your opinion of the TLM103 vs the AT or the rode.....is the extra $400 or so worth it? I want more of a warm colored sound than a bight sound. I've found recording into a digital only workstation that bright mics can easily sound TOO bright......I am looking for a warm tight sound under $1000 but if I can get it for $600 or less even better :D ....and i heard the rodes suck.....i havnt used them

9. Krou

Krou Active Member

I had my heart set on the TLM-103 and once I heard it against a Rode Classic, I was left with the impression of an overpriced mic wit the word "Neumann" on it, that's it. The Rode sounded absolutely incredible to my ears. That said, I'm going for a K2 in the new year. Think NTK (also a beauty), but better design and variable patterns.

10. Hack

Hack Active Member

I thought the 103 was overpriced too. I picked up a pair of AT 4033s and have been real happy with them. I have used them on gtrs and OH. No complaints.

11. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

Yeah, I compared the TLM103 to my NTK, and was very disappointed in the Neumann. The Rode sounded smoother and warmer, although the TLM103 was a bit less sibilant, it just didn't justify the Neumann name for me...

12. boheme6

boheme6 Guest

I think the K2 is a lot smoother sounding than the NTK.. it's got a very smooth sound to it - not 'hyped' like a lot of other mics in that price range.
    "-)

13. Groff

Groff Active Member

AT is not for colour (except maybe 4060) . Check Rode site and download few mp3 demos. Different Rode mics through 1073 to PT on 24/44.1. I own Classic 2. Doesn't suck at all with my Sebatron. I listened takes with TLM 103 before, not bad but more like Neumann "LE". I agree with Doublehelix. Don't buy just because of name. I guess first Neumann that "works" is U87. We are all in expensive game.

If you are looking for your first good mic take your time (and money) and do deeper research in Pro audio gear forum.

And do not expect "warmth" from mic only.

14. splurge

splurge Guest

Isn't the TLM103 a U87 without the patterns ???

Cheers

Liam

15. BillC

BillC Guest

"get the K2 instead.. very nice.. and can be picked up for under 600.
    "-)"

You need to learn how to shop :wink: I picked up a pair of NT2000's for $400/each. New, in the box, retail.

16. maintiger

as far as the tlm103 I haven't heard one but I've used the u87 quite a bit and rumour has it its the same capsule design... I'm sure its a good mic- that being said, you can't go wrong IMHO with he Rode K2. It is not overly bright like the NT1 (I own one of those too and it has its uses) lately I've been using the K2 in omni mode for male vocals and the clarity is just unbelievable. In cardioid the mic has more bite but in omni it just goes on forever.... :D

17. imagineaudio

thanks guys for the advice.......I maybe ready to go demo some mics........now one more question for this thread.........K2 vs NTK?

Tune in next month for...PRE's PRE's PRE's...... :cool:

18. Krou

Krou Active Member

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul04/articles/rodek2.htm?session=ec58bdfa92ab5f8cc3d03814328968c4

19. maintiger

I have the K2 and I understand that the NTK is brighter- (which of course makes the K2 darker) Take your pick

20. johnthemiracle

johnthemiracle Active Member

i went with the tlm 103 years ago and i didn't regret it. great mic, sounds great on everything i stick it on to. a workhorse just like a 414 (but without selectable patterns of course)...the u 87 has more of an edge in the hi mids i think, the 103 sounds more neutral to me...