1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Hi! I have a problem with a CAD 22A Mic

Discussion in 'Recording' started by SKinneyD, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. SKinneyD

    SKinneyD Guest

    iight, today i bought a CAD 22A dynamic mic and it did not come with a cable. I was wondering what type of cable i'm gonna neeed to start recording. and what the adapter for my computer is called. and will i need a sound card to work it? thanks by the way i heard it not a bad mic at all.
    so basicly can you tell me evrything i need to buy in order to be able to record.

    any feedback is helpfull, thanks :)

    and also i do not want to buy online. the store i bought the mic from said they were out of the cable. and i went to target they dint have it, would best buy/ circuit city have it?
  2. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    A little more information would be helpful? Your microphone probably contains a standard XLR balanced three pin connector. Pin 2 is hot with 3 being return and 1 being ground.

    Now for your microphone input. On a standard Sound Blaster card, you will most likely want to obtain a low impedance balanced to high impedance unbalanced transformer adapter. You will use a standard balanced 3 pin connector at both ends, microphone cable. He will plug one and into the back of the microphone and one and into the back of the transformer adapter. Now you are ready to plug in to your sound card but probably have discovered that the plug on the adapter is a 1/4" connector and that your sound card requires a 1/8" connector? You will need another adapter cords from Radio Shaft of female 1/4" to male 1/8". For the microphone cable and the male and female XLRs, they are all available at Radio Shaft along with the necessary soccer and soldering iron and small tools.

    Now should you so desire to purchase a quality oriented microphone preamplifier that would sound much better when plug into your sound cards line input? So many available you will feel like a little kid at the candy store. Generally the microphone inputs on Sound Blaster cards aren't rather poor. The line input on Sound Blaster cards are adequate. For a better quality cards I may recommend M- audio, MOTU (mark of the unicorn) Presonas and a whole lot more.

    All of this is relatively easy to do if you take your time and you should gain much enjoyment and experience from doing so.

    Do it herself girl
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  3. SKinneyD

    SKinneyD Guest

    Alright thanks, unfortunatly all the radio shacks moved from my area :( . thanks for the help tho :)

    but can i just get a 3 pin cable end with a 1/4 on the other end, and then only get a 1/8 adapter?
  4. SKinneyD

    SKinneyD Guest

    and how much do you think that will cost me at say, music center?
  5. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    Well to begin with, you really want to get a direct box or DI. Your local "Music Center" should have what you need to go from low impedance balance to high impedance unbalanced along with a patch cord and adapter, to get into your sound card. The cost will vary with the quality of the DI and you should find numerous units at various price points. You will need a DI that contains a transformer and not an active direct box.

    This is the right way to do it.
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  6. SKinneyD

    SKinneyD Guest

    Is a direct box extremly neccesary or can i buy it later? Will the microphone work if i have only the XLR 3 pin to 1/4 to 1/8? and then plug it into the back of my computer. Cause i only have about 20 more dollars and i have 10 days to record.

    And is the Direct Box for performing or recording? cause all i really want to do is record.
  7. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    Look, I know you are short on $ but to plug your microphone in directly to your sound cards microphone input could destroy your new microphone! The microphone input has DC (direct current) on it to power low-quality condenser microphones and it is not " Phantom power". A transformer will not only make the microphone sound better (by providing an additional 10 DB of gain) but will protect it from the DC. This can be something as inexpensive as a balanced to unbalanced, low impedance to high impedance adapter. RadioShack sells them for under $15, your music store may sell them for more? A direct box can do double duty in that respect if it contains a transformer. If you use a direct box you only need an adapter cable of 1/4" mono to 1/8" mono, probably also available at your music store. Don't be stupid.

    Smarter than you
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  8. SKinneyD

    SKinneyD Guest

    sorry for all the questions, i'm pretty new at the recording scene.

    alright that is what i'm going to do

    so i'm gonna need a XLR 3 pin connect it to the Direct Box with another 3 Pin? or do i connect it with a 1/4? and then get 1/8 for my computer?
    can ya just draw up a list i could tell the guy at the music store to get

    so i need a

    direct box
    XLR 3 pin to ____

    thanks for all the help, you have no idea how much i appreciate this :)
  9. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    OK, here are 4 realistically priced recommendations.

    1) Go to your music store and purchase a transformer DI (direct inject box). This will have a male XLR with 1/4" female jacks. You will need a XLR "female to female" adapter, to reverse the direction on the box. You'll also need a 1/4" male to 1/8" male Mono adapter cord. Later, when you buy a mixer, this can be your direct box (DI) for inputting other devices like keyboards that are not right next to your system.

    2) The lesser expensive way to go is to simply buy a female XLR to 1/4" male plug,with internal matching transformer (step up). Then you will need a 1/4" female Jack to 1/8" male plug, adapter cord. This may be slightly less expensive, as these things are available from Radio Shaft for under $15 plus the adapter cord?

    3) Instead of the above suggestions, perhaps look into a reasonably priced microphone preamplifier. This will allow you to plug directly into the sound cards line input which would be way better sounding than going into the sound cards simply horrible microphone input!

    4) Or, something like a small inexpensive mixer like a Beringer or Mackie as your front end? Much more versatility for learning and simple projects and will sound much better in the long run, since you will plug back into the line input instead of the dreadful microphone input.

    Don't forget the XLR female to XLR male microphone cable.

    Now take my hand while we cross the street
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  10. SKinneyD

    SKinneyD Guest

    (Dead Link Removed)
    it says that it has a transformer. Is this one good?
  11. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    It looks fine but you will still need a female to female XLR "sex changer" and the 1/4" male to 1/8" male adapter cord, in addition to this box.

    Remy Ann David.
  12. SKinneyD

    SKinneyD Guest

    alright thanks for all the help, now the only thing i need is a mixer

Share This Page