1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

High-End Compressor Purchase

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by maxtr0ne, Jan 11, 2005.

1. maxtr0ne

maxtr0ne Guest

I'm in the market for a 2-channel compressor, preferably stereo-linkable... I'm a sucker for the tubey sound, but am open to suggestions...

I have been looking at the Drawmer stuff... the ts2d tubescreamer looks cool, but I have pretty good industry contacts and can get a 1968 mercenary for $1350 and can get similar hookups from other gear vendors (sorry to gloat :oops:)

So, in that price range, about $2000 retail for stereo compression, what else should I be considering?

I'm work on a lot of heavy low-end dance stuff, but have projects where I work with country and rock bands... So I need something that can be obviously aggressive on resampling, but beautiful and musical on a stereo mix bus for final mixdowns.

I need some help from the pros... I'm more of a musician just getting into the pro gear world... thanks :cool:
  2. JeffreyMajeau

JeffreyMajeau Active Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Drawmer 1968
    Chandler LTD2
    Langevin ELOP
    FMR Audio RNC

Are a few really nice ones that I've had a chance to play around with
  3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    You said high end...

dbx 160SL
    Manley Vari-Mu
    Focusrite Red-3
    API 2500
    Drawmer 1968

Mabe list:
    dbx 162SL
    Pair of Distressors
    UA 2-1176
    Chandler LTD2
    Summit DCL-200
    Vintech 3609
  4. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Damn bro... I need to start shopping where you shop!! I can't even get a '68 for $1,350... and I was involved in the project!
  5. Duardo

Duardo Guest

If you're really sorry, why do it at all? Whom are you trying to impress?

My advice would be to see if you can actually try out a few of the compressors you're interested in and pick the one that suits you best. And not to brag about "industry contacts" and "gloat" about prices you can get.