1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

High Gain USB Interface for PC

Discussion in 'Recording' started by agreatheight, Dec 3, 2009.

1. agreatheight

agreatheight Guest

Long story short, I am recording voice-overs so I need a USB PC friendly interface. I'll be using a Shure SM7B (client request), so I need something with quality, low noise, high gain pres. One (or two) channels is fine. Wall power or bus powered isn't a factor to me, as long as the pres have plenty of headroom for dynamic microphone voice recordings (which I would assume would be limited by bus power, but I am not sure). I would use the Apogee One (which has 65 db of gain on tap) but it is mac only and I'll be using a PC. I am thinking I need at least 50 db of gain in the pres. Ideas?

Your input is appreciated!

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

No, you don't need a high-gain pre-amp for recording voice-overs using an SM7B. You do need a high-quality pre-amp, or maybe a channel strip so you can add some compression at record time. The now-discontinued Universal Audio LA610 was a classic for this type of work, but there are suitable offerings available from Neve and API amongst others. Some channel strips have a built-in computer interface and others need an external interface.

If you are setting yourself up as a VO professional, don't skimp on the gear or the room treatment.

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Listen to Boswell. Why would you possibly need "high gain" for an SM7b? It isn't a ribbon microphone. For voice over professionals a quality channel strip is almost a necessity.