1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

"Hiss" from my new Focusrite VM Pro

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by JoeW, Jan 6, 2005.

1. JoeW

JoeW Guest

I've been having trouble getting a clean signal on this new equipment. Here's the chain...

CAD M9 tube mic > Focusrite VM Pro > Edirol UM-25 > computer Hard drive located in the next room. Pretty simple, yes?

The cabling from the Cad mic into the VM pro is a balanced XLR, and from VM Pro to Edirol is balanced XLR also.

Doing straight voice/narration I would expect a nice clean sound (using no compression or other processing offered by the pre.)

Instead, what I've been getting is a very noticable background "hiss" - sounds almost like tape hiss. This is in a small 7X10' sound-proofed room...no external noise coming in to explain this "hiss" sound. The computer is in the next room.

I am monitoring this on line level output to headphones, directly out from the A/D interface.

If I bypass the pre and take the mic directly to the Edirol A/D via balanced XLR, "voila", I get a very clean, nice signal with none of the hiss. The hiss goes away...no noise.

The sales guy where I bought the equipment suggested that there was some impedence mismatch in using an XLR from the mic to the pre and then from the pre to the A/D, and suggested I try using the balanced TRS patch cable instead.

I'm skeptical...wouldn't a balanced TRS give the exact same signal as a balanced XLR?? Just different plugs...right?

I am begining to think the Voicemaster Pro is defective. Just to be sure, I've ordered a TRS balanced cable that I will try, just to eliminate that possibility.

Does any of this make sense?

All ideas appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Joe

2. StevenGurg

StevenGurg Guest

Dear Joe, a little over a year ago, I had the same experience with a Focusrite Voicemaster Pro I received from ZZounds. I tried what I could, and after speaking with Zzounds they recommended that I return it, which I did. It turns out the unit was defective. I bought a UA6176 instead and was greatly pleased.
    SG