1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Home recording and Hercules 16/12 FW - HELP?!

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by the_gid, Mar 31, 2005.

1. the_gid

the_gid Guest

Hi ..I am looking to set up my new laptop (powerbook G4 17") to be able to record my 3 piece punk band. I will be using Logic Express.

I want to be able to record drums with bass simultaneously before adding guitar/vocals etc..so...ie. 6-8 mics on drums..and one on bass guitar recording at the same time. - possibly recording a guide vocal track also at the same time.

will the Hercules 16/12 FW be able to do this for me? (http://europe.hercules.com/showpage.php?swcty=UK&p=91&b=1&f=1)

From what I've read it seems to be able to do the job..but it seems a great price for what I'm getting - which leads me to the question, is it any good?! (best price £389)

I am quite new to this semi-pro recording stuff... so I have a few other questions:

1. Is the Audio Interface plus mics+cables+ pro Software all I need essentially to do what I have specified above?

2. When recording drums..with the setup I have specified.. how do I set-up each drum sound individually before actually recording?..can I map each drum mic to its own individual channel on Logic Express, and mod the sound before recording from there?

that's it for now! any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated :wink:

2. composition4

composition4 Guest

Hi,

You'll need a few preamps to boost the signal as the Hercules only has preamps on two of its 12 analog inputs- you may want to look at multichannel preamp.

You'll find that if you want a half decent preamp/s, you're going to end up paying a lot more for them than the Hercules cost you.. but it's inevitable really, unfortunately.

Jonathan

3. the_gid

the_gid Guest

i already have a power amp which connects to our 12 channel mixer for our stage PA. Would this be of any use?

could i run the drum mics through the mixer..then from that to the pwr amp to the hercules etc??

4. composition4

composition4 Guest

Don't put your power amp into your Hercules, it's a good way to fry it- way too much voltage.

If you have a 12 channel mixer as you say, you could use the pres in that: mic --> mixer channel --> hercules.

Depending on what mixer it is, it's more than likely not going to have as good pres as an outboard mic pre - but you could use it with okay results until you can get another set of pres.

5. If you've not bought this yet...please reconsider! This company has a reputation for abandoning product lines with no warning or concern for the customers who own the product. Absolutely horrible company...AVOID!

6. the_gid

the_gid Guest

never fear! i have opted out of getting the hercules..and have opted to get the Presonus Firepod instead!

7. composition4

composition4 Guest

Actually I've had no problem with mine! I know when Hercules were Guillemot they got a bad rap (with the Isis etc), but they've kept the software drivers for the 16/12FW up to date, and as I mentioned I had no problem- is a great interface.

The only thing I can't speak for is their warranty, as fortunately I've not had to deal with the company directly yet...