1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Home Studio build, eventual business. (requesting fingers that are pointing)

Discussion in 'Recording' started by krbrumma, Jun 21, 2011.

1. krbrumma

krbrumma Active Member

Jun 21, 2011
    I'm an entrepreneur that is music oriented (i play the drums, :cool: for all the haters), and i just decided that it'd be really fun to have a recording studio so i could learn more about music and maybe in a few years start running a business out of it.

I'm planning on posting up a studio in my parents pole barn that's beginning construction this summer.

What i am looking for is somebody to just sorta nudge me in a few directions that are logical as i am as n00bish as it gets to recording.

i'm a worker, so i have funds, but limited by bills. I should be able to scrounge up 2k by the start of fall.

I have some office walls, here's the link to the brochure: http://www.haworth.com/_layouts/Haworth.ProductCatalog/Handlers/GetAsset.ashx/Enclose_Brochure.pdf?cid=180&rid=2093&type=Brochure

I have 13-4x10 walls of various construction, no glass accept for 5 that have a two foot glass panel on the top.

Any suggestions, fingers pointed etc.. are greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Pole barn has not started being assembled... no cement laid.

Thank you for your time
  2. krbrumma

krbrumma Active Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Also, I am researching solo as well, just throwing this out there in case anybody is bored and feels like feeding a response
  3. Ripeart

Ripeart Active Member

May 13, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Home Page:
    Read all the books you can before deciding on a path. The first consideration is going to be acoustical treatment. It's not gear and thus not as exciting but it is absolutely essential if you expect to charge people money.

2k is pennies. You'll want to look into DIY solutions at that budget. Actually 2k is not even a DIY budget for the square footage you are talking about.

Sorry to be a a downer. What kind of studio did you have in mind? A recording facility? Mixing, mastering? All of the above?
  4. MadMax

MadMax Distinguished Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Sunny & warm NC
    Home Page:

Lest I be remiss in my duties as a resident nutcase, I do ask you one very serious question...

Have you completely lost your mind?

A two thousand dollar investment for a whole lot of nowhere when you spend it wrong, is not a good thing. You've just become parted from your money, and no way to get a return on your investment.

The IRS calls that a hobby.

To do this as a business, you better be deciding a WHOLE lot more than the color of paint... which I'm sure you know.

But to actually step into the world, up to your ankles in realizing that you want to start from a scratch up facility. That's an important and never greater opportunity to start with a good, purpose built foundation. You gotta pour concrete anyway, right? You're only talking about adding 25-30% more concrete for turndowns and footers.

SLOW down and ask what your confidence level is for investing in $150/sq ft? What about $200/sq ft?

$2000 with a LOT of hard work will get you 10 sq ft of finished high end studio space. In construction, your materials are less than half the cost of labor... so you can stretch your dollars if yer' worth a dime with a hammer and saw... and a shovel, rake, drill, and caulk gun....

Oh.. and get yourself a coupla bucks of scaffold... You'll thank me later.

You obviously like open spaces, so... I would think you want to create a large open space and not screw around with all that reflective glass...

But before you spend one single dime, you better have your drawings certified and yer' permits in hand.

If you're gonna half ass it by trying to back in to a prosumer rental space, then you're wasting a much better opportunity to invest in the best possible isolation... but if you do a one room, you might be able to get away with it. However, IMHO, smaller isolated monolithic slabs to achieve that extra isolation is well worth the investment.

Also... get yourself any number of decent reference books. I would specify (obviously) Rod's, Build It Like The Pro's, Newell's Recording Studio Construction and Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics... at a minimum.
  5. krbrumma

krbrumma Active Member

Jun 21, 2011

This is exactly the advice i'm looking for. I'm in route for purchasing books, come next pay period. ....Although if anybody has any they no longer need(doubtful) feel free to PM me with a price.

I actually happen to be very fortunate and live in the same town as Bill Chrysler, so i'm gonna hop on down there some time and see if I can volunteer for some knowledge gained. :rolleyes: we'll see :)

Ripeart, there's no gettin me down. Just opening my eyes to reality.

and Madmax, i got most of what your saying.. but i'm gonna re-iterate it differently to see if i'm catching you right...

So.. I should not build in the pole barn because I don't own it.. but I should Pour some specific concrete for the pad (not sure on what your sayin to do but i'll take a gander at it) and then not use those walls and build my own specific kind. I am at the ability to build my own, however the glass is removable.. but would alter the size to 8ft tall.

Also, are the plans and certification necessary in order to use it as a business?

On that note, Does any body have any specific order or way in which is best to start picking up equipment as per the ability to start recording over value?

And i have two 500gig dual core processor computers that i have at disposal.

6. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Rainy Roads WA USA
    Kyle, being a drummer and working on a space for your drum set sounds like a fun project. Having some office wall partitions (the padded type, not solid or glass) can make good sound deadening panels to surround a drum set, so the sound doesn't go flying all over your pole building and sound like a bunch of tin cans banging away.
    You might Google drum isolation booths that people manufacture and get an idea of how those are used in a space to isolate and record drum sets. Many times a corner of a room is used with a floating floor, sound treatment on two corner walls behind the set and then build a wall at angles in front of the set using 1/2 height sound panels open on the top half for the drummer to see out into the rest of the room. Sometimes glass can be used if the entire booth needs to be completely isolated from the rest of the room. But glass windows are tricky and need to be used at a minimum to keep them from vibrating. The best bet is not using any solid hard surfaces at all. They just causes reflective surfaces that bounce the sound all over the place..
    You didn't list any recording equipment in your post so not sure if the $2000 you mentioned was just for building a drum booth inside the pole barn or for buying recording equipment as well.
    Truthfully $2000 alone would barely pay for a decent set of microphones to record an acoustical drum set. You'll want a good kick mic, a snare mic, a couple overhead mics and then maybe some fill in mics around the set for toms and hi hat....so just a drum set alone needs 4-8 channels for recording. Go to the Shure website and download the drum mic recording techniques primer to get an idea of whats involved with recording drums properly, then price the mics they recommend and see what you come up with.
    If you have some recording equipment already, it would help if you listed everything you have so far.
    Starting a business in recording is a real expensive undertaking and takes a lot of experience and money to make money as a "business". They rarely make enough money to be a profitable business unless you're a record company or have enough clients that provide enough consistent business to show a profit....if that even ever happens..that's debatable.
    It's not the most lucrative or historically successful business in the world! You have to love making records for other people for it to make sense. Beyond that it's just a hobby and someplace for you and your friends to play and practice in and have fun.
    I realize your thinking about this as a future idea and it sounds like you are just getting started at your parents place, but thinking about it as a business is a totally different animal. Everybody thinks about doing this.....unfortunately unless you're a trust fund baby with a million bucks to throw away you should check your reality meter.....not trying to put you down just being honest and truthful!
    I'm sure your parents are happy to let you build something in their building to play your drums in....it certainly beats having it in a house or bedroom!
    But read some books, go to the Shure website and read the stuff on mics and recording and start with your drums and then you can bring your friends in to play and hopefully you'll have a cool space to have fun and make some music.
    As soon as you all start playing together you will hear all the acoustic flaws, echoes and mush then maybe think about spending your time and any money on solving that with more panels or a ceiling cloud treatments or whatever gets the reverberation down in your pole building.
    In the meantime try and work with what you have and continue saving your money....and have fun with it!
  7. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
    "What i am looking for is somebody to just sorta nudge me in a few directions that are logical as i am as n00bish as it gets to recording."

I'll do that, since this topic does not have anything to do specifically about construction and design.

I'll move it to a more appropriate area.

Good luck,
  8. krbrumma

krbrumma Active Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks Space!

My Apologies
  9. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
    None required my friend. we just try to keep things in the right place. Be looking in on ya from time to time...