1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Hoping for some (positive) criticism

Discussion in 'Recording' started by GentleG, Feb 28, 2002.

1. GentleG

GentleG Guest

Hi guys/girls

I really learn(ed) a lot on this board (hope I did ;-)
    I was wondering if someone could give me some real honest feedback on my music. (from arrangement to overall sound, feel to whatever, etc.)
    Please don't be gentle ;-) with it.
    And please be as honest as you can

Thanks & Cheers

I'm working for 20 hours a day for 1.5 years on my music now. On my site you'll find the ones I think are worthy being public.
    My personal favourites are Where & Man of the City
    Most folks tend to prefer Moral (more beat-driven)

pps If you want want me to give my personal opinion on your music... just say so.
  2. Solfatio

Solfatio Guest

Hiya. As a bit of background, the last few CD's I've listened to have been Paul Oakenfold, Arvo Part, Bright Eyes, Cursive, The Million Dollar Hotel, and U2's War; along with some Ghosts & Vodka and St. Etienne, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and a CD of misc. electronica. The last two projects I've been working on have been Weezer-crossed-with-The-Mr.-T-Experience and my own attempts at a dance remix... So keep all this in mind with my comments. <grin>

Now - when the instruments have filled out, about a minute into the song, I think it would be safe to cut out the reverb from the 'bass' track, because it becomes a bit distracting. The length is all right, and I like the use of instrumentation. The main thing that makes me cringe a little with this song is that thing with the bass melody.

Blue Thing - love the voice. ;D It makes the song sound organic, which may or may not be what you want. ;D (It's not the voice itself that makes the organic feel, but the way it sounds. It sounds warm and organic, regardless of the effects you've got it through.) I like the interaction between the keyboards, and how they pan. The reverb on the drums is an interesting touch. On the production side of things, I don't know what I think about it: it wouldn't have been my first choice, same with the drum sounds, but...I don't think it's bad either. The song starts to lose my interest after about 4/4.5 minutes, however. There isn't enough action going on, and the drum beat isn't fast enough to get lost in. But don't worry, Paul Oakenfold does this too, it's a 'feature' of dance music...because, really, you're supposed to be dancing to it not 'listening' to. <grin> That's my rationale for a lot of things, "oh, don't worry, Paul Oakenfold does it, it's gotta be ok.." <cackle>

Where - I like the little feedback sound. The main thing is I think the drums could stand to have more beats stuck in'between. The tempo's good, but perhaps either using, say, 6 or 12 beat pattern instead of an 8 beat pattern, or just adding more 'hits' in each measure would fit in. Nothign loud or overt. Maybe even just a double-time drum track that's a little quiter than the main/lead drums. That's the main thing--the song could just use a little bit more drive.

Moral - fun little song, it's kinda like James Bond gone wrong. If I had mixed it, I would have brought the vocals down and mixed them more behind the electronics.

Man Of The City - reminds me of some wicked mix between the Virgin Prunes and Leonard Cohen, with splashes of The Faint thrown in for good measure. A good example of Fun with Panning! =D Love the drum sounds...this is probably my fave of what you've got posted. Ironically, I think the length and repitition work for it. I might lengthen the delay on this one a bit, on the vox at the end, so that it matches the groove of the song better (ie, like the 'manually-delayed' vocals at the end).

Cool stuff. ;D Thing I can't stand about electronica is how long it takes to program...kinda like the thing I can't stand about 'real' music is how long the bloody stuff takes to write...
  3. GentleG

GentleG Guest

Hi GabrielK

Thanks for your feedback, I looked into the things you've noticed. (f.e. On -Now- I feel there's indeed something that isn't quite right, still have to figure out what it is exactly:)

Feedback like this really helps me a lot. It's difficult to step back from your own music and try to listen to it with a different pair of ears.

Now that I've reread my post, I see my English still isn't the way I want it to be. I asked for (positive) criticism, but I ment to ask for constructive criticism :)

So thanks again, I hope another pair of ears also wants to give it a try

4. CircuitRider

CircuitRider Active Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Home Page:
    Payback time! Only kidding. I really enjoyed listening to your work. I don't listen to much electronic music. I'm more in tune with artists like John Schofield, Charlie Hunter, Herbie Hancock, etc. But I think I do have something to offer here.

I thought Man of the City was cool. The panning is done very well.

I think my favorite was actually Blue Thing. The drums on this songreally caught my attention. I think the levels are perfect. As a matter of fact, I can't really find anything that I could change for the better in the mix. The composition is good, also. I would personally like to see more movement in some of the pieces. As I said earlier, I'm not very familiar with electronica, but I think some things are universal. I think your style lends itself to presence of a distinct beginning leading to a climax. Maybe you could explore that more.

Again, I enjoyed listening. You are very talented.

5. GentleG

GentleG Guest

Thanks CR

"talented" ? [trying not to blush too much]

"I think your style lends itself to presence of a distinct beginning leading to a climax."
    I agree. Two reasons for not doing this:
    1. I fail to make a real climax. 2. I succeed making the climax, but then it sounds way too obvious:)
    But yes, it is something I explore.

6. GentleG

GentleG Guest

Hi all

I've just uploaded a rearranged / shortened version of Blue Thing.
    I'm still working on other suggestions I get of this and other messageboards

7. GentleG

GentleG Guest

I took me some time, but I finally agree on removing some reverb from the bass (on Now). Problem was, I only had the reverbed bass as audio... So I recycled it and shorten the amplitude enveloppe decay...
    Thanks for the suggestion. 'Now' sounds clearer now ;-)