1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How big is yours?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Eddie, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Eddie

Eddie Guest

What size is your favorite sounding floor tom when tracking?
  2. launchpad67a

launchpad67a Guest

I love a "14 floor. I tend to use it more than my "16. I just think it has a better tone and is easier to manage. You don't get all the "boom", just a nice low hit with plenty of tone.
    I use DW's by the way, so the quality of my drums is not an issue!

3. Eddie

Eddie Guest

Thank you Mike for your reply,I've been using a 16 for the only floor tom and I think you just fixed my problem :)
  4. Eddie

Eddie Guest

Just saw that I am a senior member, thats pretty damn scary !
  5. JeffWebb

JeffWebb Guest

I also like the 14" tom, but I had mine cut down so that I could use it as a rack tom. I no longer use the 13" tom and had it turned into a small field drum for marching.
    I use 10",12",14" rack toms and 16",and 18" floor toms. For recording, I seldom use the 18" and I sometimes leave off the 10". I found that I didn't like the sound of going from the 12" to the 13". I like more contrasts so I like at least 2" difference between my tom sizes allowing a full step in tuning rather than a half step. (My cazy system but it works.) Sometimes when I'm gigging I travel with my smaller kit which has a 20" kick rather than my regular 22" and I don't bring any "floor" toms, I use my 14" rack tom mounted off of my cymbal stand in the place of the floor tom and use the 10" and 12" rack toms.
    I find that I only use the 18" when I want to do mock tympani type of rolls and such or if I'm providing a heavier beat for rock
  6. tmix

tmix Guest

I have a studio kit with 8/10/12 hang toms and a deep 12" floor tom that sounds fabulous recorded. It tunes low but is very pronounced tone no flapping. Very clear.